Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - japdriver

I have decided to buy a MPV, or largish estate car, which must seat 3 child seats across the back seats...

It's our 2nd car behind the Galaxy, so we're looking at a budget of up to £3500, and the normal Picassos, Scenics, Multiplas etc are our target. Amazingly the earlier Zafira only has a lap belt in the middle rear seat, so is not suitable!

I get quite 'excited' about the prospect of buying a 'new' car, but after the initial buzz, depression sets in....am I alone, or do others feel the same way?.....let me explain!

Like most of us, I've searched autotrader online/freeads/local papers Fleabay etc, and I can barely find a vehicle to go and view! On Ebay I have found several vehicles that sound reasonable, but important info is always missing - either a reference to history or mileage! Both crucial, but all too often 'missing'. After messaging you find the 60,000 miler, 1 owner car has 'no history at all' (So in my mind = clocked), or the about right price vehicle has done 140,000 miles!! so is overpriced.

Independant dealer ads in Autotrader are as bad. Omit the crucial info just as above. One dealer in Southampton ( I guess I shouldn't name them?) has loads of very reasonable/cheap priced low mileage cars - I phoned them, NONE have any history! How dodgy does this sound?! EG Renault Laguna tourer DCi, 54 plate, 60,000 miles = £1695. "I'm sorry Sir, the car has no history with it, but the mileage is genuine....." Yeah right on mate...Am I being rightly cynical, or unrealistic in my expectations?!

Today I ventured a look at a 53 plate Scenic Alize, 59,000 miles, £3000. I'm sorry sir only a part service history with this car.....then I spot the badly sprayed rear wing - can feel the rough paint ridge, the fact that 4 of the 6 screws holding the rear bumper on are missing.....my heart sinks. Why are independant dealers almost always the same? Poor stock badly 'repaired/tarted up/ but at top prices.

I am not a dealer so can only reference to parkers/What car online price guides for pricing info. Dealer prices are almost always miles above A1 Parkers/What car price. Why is there such a massive difference? Surely Parkers etc can't be that far out. I know Traders use Glasses guide, but come on guys there is a recession. Again am I unrealistic (I realise they are running a business), or are they just out to rip off the unwary, or leave plenty of room for negotiation?

All I want is a good car, with full history, that is the right price! I can't be a***d with the auctions again, by the time you've paid the premiums, taxed the car, taken the 'chance' that you've been lucky and driven 60 miles each way to Blackbushe you may as well have bought privately any way, andhad the chance to test/check the car properly. But - where are all the private cars for sale? I'd say 90% of ads are dealers....Aaaggghh!

I live in Ringwood near Bournemouth - can anyone recommend an honest reasonably priced dealer within 25 miles of me?

So.....am I alone in getting frustrated at searching for a decent fair priced car, or does this strike a familiar chord with others out there?

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - RaineMan

Five months ago I got so fed up after spending weeks looking that I brought an older car privately at 1/3rd of my budget. It had a full dealer history until two years ago and two owners from new. Had to spend a bit on it last week but overall quite satisfied so far. And the heated seats work!

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Leif

Many years ago I searched for a used car, and I formed exactly the same opinion as you. Small dealers were selling nasty cars, with obvious bad paint jobs on body panels, at high prices. Main dealers were no cheaper, but at least the cars were better. A friend bought a used car at an auction at Blackbushe and it turned out to have had the clock wound back, and he ended up with a car in poor condition. Buy private. I know plenty of people who have done it and got a good car. Just make sure it is a private sale, and the car is not stolen etc i.e. take the usual precautions such as meet at the sellers house, ask them on the phone to describe the car (without saying which one).

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - bonzo dog

Hi all, a few points if I may:

1. If all of the cars are "over-priced" doesn't it say something about your expectation & Parkers Guide?
  2. Very few cars at 6 years old will have a complete service history, even one owner
  3. Whilst all dealers are crooked to some extent, very few actually clock cars. How will you know? ...... you won't
  4. There is a shortage of clean low mileage use cars, as a result of the same recession you mention. You see as people are not buying cars thus they are not PXing the one's they own & no-one (too my knowledge) has gotton around to manufacturing used cars (now there's an idea!!!!!)
  5. As peace of mind is clearly important to you (as it is with me) can I suggest you speak to as many franchised dealers as you can find & ask them to call you whenever they take in a clean people carrier with full history. Most will simply be trading this age of car & will welcome someone who will give them a bit of profit.

Good luck with your search

If all of the cars are "over-priced" doesn't it say something about your expectation & Parkers Guide?

• Very few cars at 6 years old will have a complete service history, even one owner
  • It could indicate that prices are higher in his area.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Dutchie

Hello just to follow the discussion why should car prices be higher in the op area? We live on a small island can't be that different can it.Any car after five years you be lucky to get a full service history .I wouldt expect to much for £3500.Not for the size of car you want, I hope you do.

I'm not expecting too much I don't think, here is an example of what I'm on about:-
    Taken from What car price adjusted valuation:-

EG a Mazda Premacy 2.0 sport, 03 plate 03 year, 62000 miles. What car dealer price = £2405, dealer price 5 miles from me = £2999. How do you buy a car if our price guides are either miles out, or dealer prices too high?

I don't expect a low miles 06 plate picasso for £3500, but I do expect a 53/04 plate 1.8 sx with 60,000 on for £3000, with a guaranteed mileage.

As I mentioned, I viewed a 53 plate Scenic 1.6 Fidji for £3000, with 59k on, about the right price. On viewing though, Not guaranteed miles, poor body repairs. In my opinion therefore not worth £3000. As for full history - I don't think a stamped up service book is unreasonable. At least you can check it by phoning the servicing garage. Old MOT's also help. Honestly, who throws them away, unless you want to hide something?

Edited by japdriver on 28/10/2010 at 01:07

Hi again Japdriver, the last para made me smile (& I don't mean laugh at you) as only last night my dad who has a 5 year old car with FSH informed me that yesterday he had "had a clear out" of some old papers including car stuff. I asked him if this included service invoices & the last two year's MOT certificates? He said "Yes, as they are of no use to me now". I said they will be of use when you come to sell it; so I suggested he retrieve them from his wheely bin! :)

As regard to prices, all goods are worth whatever someone will pay for it. So just like all goods, dealers ask a price that they believe will attract a potential buyer to enquire about it & sell with as little discount as possible. Price too high & they get no calls, price too low & they wil sell very quickly but not realise the true potential profit in that car. So if all the cars are priced too high in relation to What Car & no-one bought the cars do you think the dealers would a/ happily go bust or b/ reduce the prices to what the market will pay? Or do you think that c/ the dealer prices are reflective of the price the market will pay given the low supply of clean used cars?

How do you buy a car if our price guides are either miles out, or dealer prices too high?

You decide if you want to pay the dealer prices or not bother buying a new car. It's your money, after all. You're correctly doing what every used car buyer is doing: researching the prices of cars in so called official publications then discovering that the true asking prices are different. I've just been doing the same trying to find a small car, £3,500 to £4,000 for a relative; there are few around so the dealers can ask a premium for them.

Don't forget that the asking prices will include an element of "over-allowance" for any PX wihich you can get knocked off if you have no PX; but as I have found out, at present this OA / discount is very small (typically £250 on this price of car)

Good luck with your search

I would try to by private.A few years ago part exchange our mitsubishi space star the usual price a thousand pounds.The car was six years old good condition full service history.Problaby sold somewher for around three to three and halve thousand pounds.I should have sold the car on a private sale but the hassle dealing again with people knocking at the door haggling .I could't be bothered so I took a loss.Some people have the patience to look weeks and weeks for a car to buy I haven't.These guides glasses etc are a guide thats all they are.I didt think you was about that just giving you my opinion.Good Luck.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Alby Back

I would advise you to look at some higher mileage vehicles with the proviso that they come with good and checkable service histories. At your budget, I'd be looking for a one or two owner car which has done a lot of miles fairly quickly but which has been well maintained. Some extra clues as to the previous owner's attitude to the vehicle would include the quailty of the tyres, are they a known brand or some obscure budget model for example. Have the services been carried out in accordance with the schedule at a garage where you can check the validity of the stamps ?

My view, in this sector of the market is not to pay a premium for a low odometer reading but to concentrate on the potential long term usefulness of the vehicle to you, the condition it is in and the way it has been maintained.

Many relatively young but high mileage cars belong to businesses or individuals to whom their safe and reliable operation is very important. There are some really well maintained cars out there which just happen to have a lot of numbers on the dash board !

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

A while back I remember that there were lower prices 'up north'. But a long way to drive if the vehicle is mis-described. As has been said, go for an older vehicle if the condition is right.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Falkirk Bairn

Most dealers are overpriced on the forecourt - they are in the business to make money.

However, some are more overpriced than others - Subaru dealers wanting 60% of list price for a 3 year old car - the original list price is HIGH in comparison to other makes. So much so that the stock sits on the forecourt for months.

I am looking to buy a "new car" well new to me. 2 months ago the advertised prices for a 2/3 year old / 20/30K are in the £15-£18K range - trying to negotiate I started much lower but the dealer said that it was competitive with the 12 or so similar age / mileage cars advertised and would not move at all - yes and on 2 months only 1 out of 12 has been sold to my knowledge.

In the last week he has reduced the price by £750 but it is still in the pack of prices of other dealers. He has my phone number so you never know, the clocks go back this weekend. In the deep dark days of Nov / Dec he might want to negotiate.

The cars will have taken root and with winter coming may sit there for 5/6 months until the spring weather brightens up the country.

Hello Falkirk I dont understand these dealers why not take a lesser profit margin and sell.Or are they to thick to take this in? To me bussiness is about selling and turn over.I like to see a dealer come on this forum and explain there reasons.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - pd

Hello Falkirk I dont understand these dealers why not take a lesser profit margin and sell.Or are they to thick to take this in? To me bussiness is about selling and turn over.I like to see a dealer come on this forum and explain there reasons.

Because there is such a thing as liability and consumer law. A private seller can see any old car go off down the road and that's it. If it blows up 100yds out the driveway or turns out to be a write off, clocked or whatever there is no comeback.

For a dealer, there becomes a point that the margin is too small to offset the liability of a car they have to stand behind to a certain extent once it goes out the door. Once it gets to that point most dealers would prefer to shift a car out through the trade for no profit or even a loss than sell it at zero or small profit and then have the customer coming back demanding a new gearbox.

Business is not about selling or turnover. Any old idiot can build a business with a huge turnover, it is building one with a profit and selling things at a profit is the hard bit.

Once upon a time dealers used to happily shift various px's out to consumers on a "px to clear - no warranty basis" usually for little or no profit but it got then cleared and the buyer a cheap car. Nowdays they all go to auction or to other traders because they cannot legally sell them on those terms to consumers.

Hello just to follow the discussion why should car prices be higher in the op area? We live on a small island can't be that different can it.Any car after five years you be lucky to get a full service history .I wouldt expect to much for £3500.Not for the size of car you want, I hope you do.

Why does the price of petrol vary from place to place? Price is controlled by supply and demand. Perhaps there are not many used car dealers in the OP's area, or perhaps a lot of the locals want used cars. I used to live in Slough and I am sure the presence of Trade Sales of Slough impacts the prices charged by local dealers for certain brands of used and new cars.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - madf

Looking on Autotrader , there'a large price disparity betwenn 10 miles (Stoke ) and 30 miles (Manchester). Manchester is cheaper - as you would expect.

Supply and demand.

And it varies by model : so depends on the number of cars of each available locally...

Makes buying a car very satisfyiing...

Where there is more demand the price will be lower supply and demand.With that understanding the lowest car prices should be in London is that the case?I dont know,the internet is a great leveler in my opinion if you are willing to travel.The op has a car I dont know where he lives but I hope he is successfull.Leif do us a favour you might not agree with me but the drag and paste is getting a bit boring.

Well, I'm finally sorted as to my 'new' car!
    Thanks for your advice, I went the private buying route and bought an immaculate, one previous owner 51,000 mile Nissan Almera Tino 2.2DCi 136, 54 plate for £3300. Not amazingly cheap, but fully documented history, and the owner was a real nice honest guy who looked after his car.
    Now my wife is happy as I won't trawling the web/autotrader/freeads/echo etc permanently, trying to find a car!!

Well done & thanks for letting us know

Leif do us a favour you might not agree with me but the drag and paste is getting a bit boring.

Sorry, but I have no idea what the above means.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Avant

All Leif is doing is quoting a short paragraph from some way up the thread to make it clear what he's replying to. Quoting becomes a nuisance only if the quote is of unreasonable length - which this isn't.

All Leif is doing is quoting a short paragraph from some way up the thread to make it clear what he's replying to.

Exactly. Sometimes it can be hard to know who replies to what.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - Roly93

There is a shortage of clean low mileage use cars, as a result of the same recession you mention. You see as people are not buying cars thus they are not PXing the one's they own & no-one (too my knowledge) has gotton around to manufacturing used cars (now there's an idea!!!!!)

I think thi is very true, a couple of months ago, I sold our very nice 53 plate Focus privately. It was below average milage for the year so the way I priced it was half way between the parkers guide and comparable models in dealers. It sold in 6 hours, and I probably got another 12 calls about the car.

Buying 2nd hand - Overpriced dealers or is it me? - P E

I agree. After cursory steps into looking for cars to go and view, and hopefully buy one. I have realised I am either far more of a skinflint than I thought I was or supply in this neck of the woods has dropped off a cliff and as such prices have gone up. I'll not be changing for a while now.