Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - Muggy

( Yes, I have been here recently - just lurking though! )

A couple of weeks ago I had an unexplained puncture on the A361 in Devon; while negotiating the roundabout southbound at the junction with the A399 the front left suddenly deflated.

Fortunately there was a layby about ½ a mile ahead so I was able to reduce speed and pull off the road without any problems.

The AA man could not find any obvious cause when he examined the tyre while putting the spare on ( I do have a jack and brace, yes, but I doubt I have the muscle power to do the job properly myself and I had nearly 200 miles to go to get home... ). No cuts, no stones, no nails, no sidewall damage - none of the usual suspects, The valve was OK as well. The tyres were all in good condition with 5mm to 6mm of legal tread left.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this puncture?

Because it was unexplained and the tyres were only about 4,000 miles short of their lifespan ( I am told Pirelli 155/70s - which these wrre - last 20,000 miles; these had done 16,000 ) I took the precaution of having a whole new set on at the first opportunity, but I am still puzzled as to why it happened in the first place.

I am wondering if the tyres were simply "out of years" as I am a low mileage driver; I think they had been on the car for a bit over 4 years; that doesn't sound long enough to me for the UV deterioration to have really taken hold though?

Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - bathtub tom

When did you last check the pressures, and how?

I have a foot pump with a pressure reading function.

Before I set out that day the pressures were all fine, and I had the AA man check the other three before I continued and he confirmed they were fine.

Perhaps it is worth my adding that I had driven from Epsom to just short of Hartland earlier that day, it's 217 miles each way so at the point the puncture happened I had covered about 250 miles in all. There was a 2½ hour break at my destination, a friend's house.

About 10 miles before the puncture I stopped to refuel at the big BP garage at Roundswell; the tyre looked visibly OK at that point.

Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - retgwte

you should have done the obvious and stuck the wheel underwater and watched for the bubbles

Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - madf

Had that on a caravan with 5 year old tyres.. I suspect the internal wire bracing failed...

You could have corroded alloy wheels? Or porous ones?

Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - ForumNeedsModerating

"A couple of weeks ago I had an unexplained puncture on the A361 in Devon; while negotiating the roundabout southbound at the junction with the A399 the front left suddenly deflated."

Bead seal broken - caused lateral force on wheel/tyre when turning - front left takes most of the weight - something lost contact/broke (as suggested above)

Get new tyres.

Thanks all:-)

Woodbines - full new set was on it by the middle of that week.

Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - Waino

Did you have a valve-cap on the tyre that went down? Some years ago, a rear tyre deflated on my Sierra and the first thing I knew about it was when I negotiated a roundabout. I had checked the tyre pressures and topped them up with air approx 40 miles and and hour before the tyre went down. I recalled that there hadn't been a valve-cap on that particular tyre and I always supected that, whilst topping up the pressure, had blown a small particle of grit into the Schrader valve - thus holding it partially open and slowly releasing air.

Ever since that day, I have been a religious advocate for replacing lost valve-caps a.s.a.p.

Suzuki Swift - Unexplained puncture - BigJohnD

Did you search for any leaks in the time honoured fashion of dunking the entire wheel into a bath of water?

Yes, there was a valve cap on it.

Bath - no; wasn't much point... after beingdriven on the flat for ½ a mile to the layby and then sitting on it for nearly an hour until the AA turned up it would probably have developed a myriad of small splits! I favour the bracing failure theory above...