Honda CR-V - Changing Timing Belt - rafbloke

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum and have a couple of questions about changing the Timing Belt (Cambelt) on a 2001 (Gen 1) Honda CR-V. Firstly, does anyone know of any common problems with doing this? I am a competent DIY mechanic but have not done a timing belt before. The next question is a bit strange, but is the crankshaft bolt left or right-hand threaded? Just wanted to check as it's probably going to be difficult to get out - so it isn't going to help if I am cranking in the wrong direction ;-)

I have a genuine Honda workshop manual, but I would be grateful for any tips/hints that anyone has about doing this job on this vehicle. I am planning on documenting this job in case it is of use to anyone else - I have done this sort of thing before, so the final product should look something like this:

http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/lower_plenum/

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers.

Honda CR-V - Changing Timing Belt - keybored

I too have an 01 crv and had it changed at 7 years old even though the mileage was only about 50k. My local indie did it for me and it needed an airgun to undo the crankshaft nut so not really a diy job in my opinion. I bought the belt and tensioner plus all 3 auxiliary belts from a Honda dealership as these are a pain to change without undoing the nearside engine mount and slightly raising the engine.

If I recall it cost me around £300 in total including his labour charge, so not what I'd call extortionate. If you plan on doing it yourself, have a look round www.hondasuv.com; they're a friendly bunch based in the US but there's loads of info on their site. Good luck.