Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - Roly93

I was looking to buy a nearly new car in the new year and was trying to predict what may happen with 20% VAT.

Will decent used cars suddenly become like gold-dust ?

Or will dealers stuff the market with pre-registered cars to keep the business alive.

Discussion please..

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - Collos25

I would have thought that they will still have to charge 20% vat is it not a point of sales tax,I think it will take a few months to sort out lots of companies claim back the vat and others will have to pay the increase a real money earner for accountants and printers.In Germany where we have now 19% vat the sale of new cars has gradually declined over the last few years with the second hand car market extremely boyant.

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - bonzo dog

The answer hopefully will be ....... nowt

The increase means typically £350 on the price or £10 per month on the payment. Neither will stop someone buying a car.

But many people will not do the maths & will simply think the increase has put an enormous obstacle in the way, blindly listening to the media hype

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - daveyjp

Nothing. If you want to save the VAT you buy an ex demo.

There are more far reaching economic announcements today which means millions won't be considering buying a new car for the next year or two.

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - colinh

"The combination of the end of the car scrappage scheme and the increase in IVA/VAT (2% increase 1st July) has resulted in a 24% fall in the number of car registrations in July. It’s the end of ten consecutive months of increasing sales"

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - dieseldogg

We bought recently in order to "beat the Vat" since we were "replacing" a 226,000 mile motor it was hardly a casual decision.

However, on reflection I suspect that the dealers ( or manufacturers) are going to have to offer some significent inducments to sell cars in 2011, so net result, most cars will probably not be a lot dearer??

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - Roly93

However, on reflection I suspect that the dealers ( or manufacturers) are going to have to offer some significent inducments to sell cars in 2011, so net result, most cars will probably not be a lot dearer??

Sorry you've lost me here ?? If dealers would be offering significant inducements, why would cars then be dearer ?

Any - What will 20% Vat do to car sales next year ? - dieseldogg

I think I said what I intended to say, i.e. implying that the dealers may need to absorb most of the 2.5% hike. . But not nessarily.

Who knows?

but cars could? even be cheaper despite the VAT rise.

Who knows?

But iffen the dealers have not been telling porkies, then there is no room to cut any more

Who knows?