BMW X5 3.0i year 2000 - BMW X5 cylinder head/engine replace. Advice please - longerranger

My beloved X5 is laid up with a cylinder head problem, at the veery least. I'm just hoping that someone on this forum might be kind enough to offer advice on how best to get her going again.

Here's the story so far:

My wife borrowed my X5 to go shopping and noticed the car was struggling a bit so she gave it more revs, not noticing the water temperature was high (presumably) to start with. Car then not sounding too good apparently and then noticed temperature gauge in red and so she pulled in at nearest (!!) lay by.

Car now outside my house having been dropped off by tow truck. My local mechanic (old school VW/Renault man - knows his stuff and very helpful) said likely that head warped/cracked as a minimum (head gasket has gone and engine still turns over apparently but no power anymore) and that not advisable to resurface as tolerances with overhead cams too problematic and that I should either look for a new or tested s/h head and try and fit myself (car not worth a great deal and I have built kit cars many years ago) or much better still, get a replacement engine...Still don't know the cause of the overheating (water pump recently replaced).

Sounds crazy that I might need a new engine when mine has fsh on 85000 miles and I only drive super-smooth? 1 previous company director owner.

I am tempted to have a replacement engine fitted as my research suggests that a head change is long-winded, potentially problematic (stripped head bolts, ..) and may not cure any other problems that engine has suffered? My other problem is that I now live in France! However, I could trailer the car to the UK if relevant, although I have seen a Cardiff company advertising on Ebay who say they collect cars for engine replacement even from mainland Europe...

Other options are to try and sell the car as is (shame as in stunning condition in golden brown with tan leather - very unusual) or even break it myself! No market for car here as the French only drive diesels.

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who may be able to help with idea, contacts, other. I'm not in a great rush as the X5 is/was my luxury "toy" but obviously need to sort it out one way or the other.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lloyd

PS. As a very long shot. I live next to Val d'Isere and have in the past occasionally offered ski/snowboard holidays in return for goods and services. I used to be a pro-snowboarder (now avid skier) so advanced lessons no problem...

BMW X5 3.0i year 2000 - BMW X5 cylinder head/engine replace. Advice please - madf

Hi Lloyd

before we can make any comments..

1. Is there oil in the water? Check please.

2. Is there any water in the oil? if oil level standard, then probably Ok.

Reason: If oil in water, probably engine is damaged elsewhere.

If oil in water then as a minimum radiator and cooling sytem will need flushing . Worst new hoses/and/or radiator required.

I suspect until the engine is dismantled with the heads removed, no-one can really tell how bad it is and what your best options are. I suspect that doing repairs in france will most costly as all spares will be new or if sh bought from the UK..

Note all the caveats: sorry not to be of more help.

BMW X5 3.0i year 2000 - BMW X5 cylinder head/engine replace. Advice please - longerranger

Many thanks. I'll check on those points. Was planning to remove the head so will do that as soon as I get a suitable manual. I have been recommended the TIS cd for sale on ebay. It's a straight six so just one head...

Lloyd