Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - bintang

I have never got into these before but our 3 year old Colt is about to pass out of warranty. We have been offered 1,2 or 3 years of extended breakdopwn cover for £275, £409 or £589. The car is well looked after. Regadless whether the same deal is cheaper elsewhere, is this type of cover worthwhile or is it the same sort of poor deal you get with white goods and the like?

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - bonzo dog

Why do you say white goods warranty is a poor deal?

Long time since I've supped bintang btw! Is is still brewed?

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - bintang

Such are generally codemned in the consumer press, including Which?, and I have never found I spent anything like the amount on repairs I would have paid for the extended warranty.

What is btw?

"and I have never found I spent anything like the amount on repairs I would have paid for the extended warranty"

And me too; I just wondered what your thinking on the subject was.

However the big big difference betwen white goods & a car is the potential cost of repair. In the case of white goods, if the cost is more than half of the retail price of the goods the insurer will generally replace it thus if your washing machine packs up the most it will cost you is the £300 or so to buy a new one.

If the car engine packs up how much will it cost to fix? Potentially a new engine + fitting. Check out various postings on here as to how much repairs are costing.

Are they worth buying? Only you can answer that. The whole concept of insurance is that many pay in but only a few recieve payment back.

Do you have home contents insurance? Or life insurance? Or etc etc? Same principle. You are protecting your financial circumstances against a possible expensive event.

FWIW, my view is if the potential claim is more than £1,000 & the premium is less than 5% of this, it's worth insuring. You could do with checking with a dealer as to the cost of a replacement engine & box, fitted & compare this to the premium. Don't forget to deduct approx £100 off the premium if it includes recovery etc.

BTW, btw means "by the way" & FWIW is "for what it's worth"

Good luck in choosing correctly

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - primeradriver

I realise that these are famous last words, but this is a Colt we're talking about. One of the most reliable cars in an already very reliable class -- not a huge amount of expensive things can go wrong with these little cars.

If the car has been reliable thus far, the chances are it will remain so. I wouldn't bother personally.

But, if you do decide to go for it, I'd say that the single year is something of a waste of money. I'd go for the full three years -- but suspect that you'll never use it.

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - Dutchie

I would't bother either save your money or spend it on something else .

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - Collos25

The problem with white goods is people do not understand their rights under the sales of goods act or the eu 2 year directive if they did they would never buy these contrick almost worthless expensive insurance policies.

I dunno, you can sometimes use them to your advantage.

I fairly regularly manage to haggle a cheap washing machine or similar for around £170 with "free" 5 year extended warranty. This can be useful as it covers things like bushes (not expensive but a colossal faff to replace on some machines) and bits getting stuck in the drum etc which can be stupid expensive to replace on the sealed-bearing machines.

A cheap and nasty Beko suddenly seems reasonable when you can be reasonably well assured of 7 or 8 years out of it. Most of the Zanussis, Hotpoints etc don't manage more than 4 or 5 without help these days.

But white goods under the sales of goods act are actually covered upto 5 years so are televisions ,radios,cd players in fact all consumer goods.

No they are not! Why are you saying this complete load of tosh?

I am sorry but an article has to be fit for purpose and a washing mashine is classed to last over five years and under the eu directive an item upto two years old must be replaced with a new one .

Please get the sales of goods act and read it slowly it will take you a longish amount of time and see if you are of the same opinion.

Hi Andy. No you are wrong. I think you may be confusing the time limit for which you can legally complain about goods being faulty at time of sale, with anything going wrong with them during that period being covered under SOGA. From a govt (i'm pretty sure) web site:

Q3. Are all goods supposed to last six (or five) years?

No, that is the limit for bringing a court case in England and Wales (five years from the time of discovery in Scotland's case). An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors. An oil filter would usually not last longer than a year but that would not mean it was unsatisfactory.

It is true that a court (who decide these things) MAY rule that a £5,000 washing machine described as "will last forever" should be fault free for 6 years, but that does not mean ALL white goods are the responsibility of the retailer for this period

The sale of goods act does not cover "accidental damage" and consumable items though -- the most common causes of problems.

The point I was making was that you can get these pretty much thrown in if you haggle.

Mitsubishi Colt 3-door - Extended Warranties - Readb2001

Perhaps give Warranty Direct a ring, I took out a policy for a customer and it entailed no cool off period and seemed really comprehensive. In fact they market themselves on the fact that they are more comprehensive than manufacturer warranties.

OK taking the money but not so quick to pay out but the subjegt has been covered many times