Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - keymoo

Hi,

I want to purchase a 2007 Ford Galaxy and I'm not sure which engine to go for. Which is more economical, the petrol or the diesel? Diesel fuel seems to be priced a fair whack higher than petrol these days, does that offset the better fuel efficiency?

I'm not sure whether to go for the 2.0 TDCi diesel or the 2.0 petrol version.

Any advice/comments?

Thanks.

Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - shara
In terms of driver enjoyment, the diesel would be the better bet due to its superior torque especially when you consider the size of the car. However the petrol will probably be more reliable-no dpf, dmf, expensive injectros to go wrong.
Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - albereto

I'd go for the 2.0TDCi (diesel). Have had one before and was very impressed with the available power with a full load of passengers. In my mind, if you are going to do around 15,000 miles p/a the extra cost of buying a diesel will pay off. The price difference between petrol and diesel at the pumps seems to be closer recently?

Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - fredthefifth

The petrol is thirsty!

FTF

Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - dieseldogg

Could i comment.

In larger vehicles diesel still makes more sense. Unless for very very low milages

we get a genuine 45mpg (possibly more) averaged over the year.

From an ould TDi Galaxy.

the only time we drove the petrol equivalent it was nearer 20mpg (gulp)

So over 226,000 miles (double gulp)

cheers

M

& Yes its the torque that makes an especial difference in a heavier vehicle

Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - fredthefifth

Yep, agree with dieseldogg. Only time I had a petrol was hired and with a full load it delivered mid to low twenties on a run that included moorway and town driving. I owned a 2002 115bhp tdi Alhambra and it delivered 38mpg round town and 45mpg on a run at motorway speeds. That 45mpg would drop to 40mpg or below if the speeds rose to above 80mph, but hey, that's not allowed is it.

Only problem I had was with the aircon leaking which is a model fault across the shalaxy range. Don't know if it is fixed on the 2007 model cos the Alhambra has long gone and I don't use the forum any more.

Have you tried fordgalaxy.org too. You will get good advice from owners.

FTF

Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - Nezza

We bought a 2007 Galaxy in Ghia trim last Nov with the 2.0 Diesel engine. Fuel consumption is good with it giving an average of 45 mpg combined cycle and 50+mpg at 70mph cruising. The car is great in design and very practical which is what drew us to it in the first place but I do have doubts over the reliability, something which the last model seemed to have built a good reputation for.

I do not want to put anyone off buying a Galaxy because we may have just bought a lemon, but I would certainly not buy another. Would be interesting to hear anyone elses experiences with reliability.

Since buying the car some 11 months ago, we have had the following issues: Front heated screen not working- replaced under warranty, stereo backlight not turning off- replaced three times under warranty, alarm module failure- replaced under warranty. Seat back tables falling off- repaired under warranty, rear door central locking not unlocking (child lock also on so can not open from inside)- chargable repair, bonnet catch not holding closed- chargable repair. Not to mention the numerous times the car fails to start and also the chrome trim that is now peeling off the interior (seen similar reports on the Mondeo for same thing). Oh and the steering makes a cracking sensation down the steering wheel at slow speeds when the weather is cold.

This has been a big disappointment as we bought the car with only 20k on the clock and a full Ford servce history so hoped it would be reliable. Must say the Ford dealer has been really good and bent over backwards to sort out the issues.

We will be looking at the new Sharan when funds allow.

Ford Galaxy - Diesel or Petrol? - dieseldogg

And yet ironically the old i.e. 1998 vintage "Ford" Galaxy (& all but a VW except the name) was better than the VW varient.......... because Mr Ford opted to drive the water pump with an ancillary belt as opposed to Mr Vw's use of the timing belt to drive the water pump.

Its a funny old world.

cheers

M