FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - Straight answer

My power steering recently failed right on top of the mot. The garage informed me that the steering column might need replacement, or the electric motor and ECU. That cost would be at least £250 for a refurbished electric motor.

The reality is that the steering motor has two relays that frequently fail. A so called refurbished motor unit will have had these taken out and replaced. If you are lucky they will replace them both, more likely only the defective one is refitted.

The cost of these 2 relays are 3 euro’s each, basic soldering skills are needed, I suggest someone with these skills might want £10.00 to do it for you.

A certain H****’s manual said how difficult it was to remove the steering motor. I took the plastic cover off the steering column, four bolts, a small socket set removed a further 3 bolts and the motor dropped out, very easy, 10 minutes work.

My power steering is now perfect, good luck don’t waste your money!!

FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - retgwte

you should post this over at http://www.fiatforum.com/

FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - focusman

did you have to buy the relays from fiat or are they available elsewhere

Yes they are available on the internet. If you type theSiemens part number into google it will come back with a German company that supplies them. Not only that they supply photos of how to remove the pcb from the motor. They accept credit cards and paypal. If you need any more help just reply.

FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - focusman
hi
hopefully will never need them. my wifes punto, 7 years old, only 1 problem since owning was the cam sensor.
just good to know in case it ever goes wrong.
do you have the numbers of the relays to hand,
thanks

Hi Focusman, this is the link you need to buy the relays, I noticed they have increased a little in cost, 4.165 euros each.On other websites they are charging silly money!!

darisusgmbh.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1...n

FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - steerwingwong

Thanks for the link, this explains where the steering motor relays should be found,however I appear to have a later motor where the relays are not on the motor PCB.Any ideas where they can found would be appreciated.

FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - steerwingwong

Thanks for the tip-I removed the power steering motor but was unable to find the two relays to which you refer.

Would really appreciate any information on how to locate these relays, the manual was no help at all.

I really do not want to spend loads of money on a fault that could be simply and cheaply fixed.

FIAT Punto - Power Steering Failure - copsan

hello,I have had the same problem and have got the motor out and the printed circuit board out, there are some very small parts on the reverse but none of the numbers bring up anything on googlecan you help to identify the relays?Thanks Copsan