Fiesta tdci 1.4 (56) - starting problems - soupdragon

Hope someone can help. My Fiesta has recently begun to have problems starting. The engine starts and then imediately dies, then won't start again. AA came out and got it going by hand priming the black bulb. It was fine rest of day, fine next day, then same thing happened. Each time it can be started by priming but there appears to be air in the fuel lines. Took it to garage and he had it 2 days, started fine every time while there, but the day after I got it back same thing happened. Garage has checked to see if air is getting in anywhere but could find no problem. Once it has been started by priming it starts and stops all day with no problems, it just the first start every other day or so that is trouble.One thing I have noticed is a ticking sound for a few seconds after turning engine off - is that normal? No idea if its connected to problem. Any ideas or advice welcome.

Fiesta tdci 1.4 (56) - starting problems - Peter.N.

Could be that the fuel pump in the tank is faulty, is the ticking sound coming from that area?

Fiesta tdci 1.4 (56) - starting problems - piston power

The pump were the fuel filter is the black bulb thoses seals perish with age and better to replace with a new unit & filter.

Fiesta tdci 1.4 (56) - starting problems - soupdragon

Thanks fo replies - car back at garage now as the problem is getting worse so now it needs hand priming every time I start it. At least the garage will see the fault this time. Here's hoping they can fix it easily.

Fiesta tdci 1.4 (56) - starting problems - itzhugzie
hi, i know this was a while back but im having same issue and was wondering what the out come was please
Fiesta tdci 1.4 (56) - starting problems - itzhugzie

Main Dealer said the fault was `a porous fuel filter housing` ? when her car had similar starting problems.Common fault so check all around that area.

thanks for reply, i have done a bit of reading up on this now and managed to find the leak. there is a hand primeing pump that lead to the filter housing and they basically say to check from there to the housing as its got to have cracked, perished or or as in my case a pin hole from rubbing some where in pipes or housing. thanks again