Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - c25campervan

Sorry for the numpty question but I've just bought my first diesel motor, I haven'tgot myself a workshop manual yet, and I want to change the oil and filter before using it. My question is do diesels use a specific type of engine oil or will any regular motor engine oil do the job? It's a fairly high mileage motor (111,000) so I want to give it decent protection.

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - bathtub tom

I don't know what a Citroen C25 is. Try this:

www.commaoil.com/

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - dieselnut

Pretty sure it is the same engine as I had in my old trusty CX of years gone by.

2.5 L turbo, old technology indirect injection but ultra reliable & surprisingly economical.

You need specific oil for Diesel engines as they are so dirty.

Diesel oil is high detergent to keep all the carbon particles that get past the rings in suspension in the oil.

So you will notice that within a few hundred miles of changing the oil it will be black again.

Find the cheapest 10 or 15w/40 Diesel oil suitable for Turbo charged engines, ASDA used to do 5L for about £9.

I used to change oil & filter every 3k miles.

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - c25campervan

Thanks guys, you confirmed my suspicions so I'm now off to get oil and filter.

Dieselnut, thanks for the information about relaibility etc, good to know. Mine's actually the 1.9 version but hopefully the same applies.

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - mastertechGeoff

i'd use 10w40 semi synthetic diesel oil, winter coming, will be a bit thinner to help with cold starting, I used this for all my taxi customers and changed it every 10k , the cars quite easily did 200k plus with no problem.

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - Peter.N.

I have had three CXs with this engine, the last one had covered 262,000 miles when I sold it and was still going strong. You don't need expensive oil but you do need to change it every 5,000 miles for engine longevity.

Something else I have just thought of, although its an old engine, if its a turbo it will have a cam belt, quite easy to change though, accessed from under the front o/s wing.

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - mastertechGeoff

You don't need to change it every 3/5 000 miles 10k is fine, my picasso hdi did 265k at 10 k intervals when i sold it, use the cheap oil for cooking, dont waste your time changing it that often, spend £15 on a gal of 10w40 semi diesel, rather than 2 x £9 on cheap, be better for the enviroment that way also.

Sorry, don't agree, the oil doesn't 'wear out' it gets contaminated, especially with older engines which don't burn as cleanly, fortunatly they don't need expensive oil as long as the spec is matched and for that engine it means less than £10.00 per can.

I have run many of these engines to 200,000 - 300,000 miles, they wouldn't last that long on 15k oil changes.

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - jonlad1974

hi what year the the car , van thanks

Citroen C25 - What engine oil do I use in a diesel engine? - Collos25

The 1.9 is far better than the 2.5 this engine suffers from no end of head problems it was fitted to many Ivico vans and the xm whereas the 1.9 if properly treated will do a million miles without bother.