Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - johnlady

Hello there,

Would you recommend buying a used S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year that the car was made is best to buy? I'm looking for S60 made in 2000-2005.

I've read lots of positive - and negative - comments about S60 and S80 so need some advices from all the gurus and owners. I absolutly have no idea about fixing engines so I really need a reliable and safe car.

All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you. :-)

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - pd
2004 model on are generally the least troublesome. They can be idenitifed by silver bits round the dials and black rather than grey stereo/cupholder etc.

They fiddled with the suspension and improved the electrics that year.
Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - johnlady

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll check it out! :-)

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - turbo11

My neighbour two doors along has a D5 S60 company car. He drives over 30,000 miles a year and his 07 reg has completed over 100,000 trouble free miles. He says that as a motorway cruiser its superb. I just wish he would give it a wash, as it's crying out for a wash and polish. He doesn't clean cars

I have noticed that its much quieter when cold or hot than my other neighbours Renault and Passat TDI's

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - Dutchie

Excellent car like other people have said very good on the motorway,the later the model the better.Volvos are well build and have a good reputation like any car look for a cared for motor don't be put off by higher milage.Good luck.

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - Slightlyfatdirector

As far as I am aware (as a former S60 D5 163hp owner) the only Petrol versions are the 2.0T and the T5. In the UK they did not do a 2.0 non-turbo.

The 2.0T is fine. Approx 30-33mpg and 180hp. The D5 (initially 163hp, but then later badged 2.4D when the D5 was introduced with a higher hp engine) will do 45-50mpg and feels much more ppowerful than the petrol because of the torque. As far as the specs go, the SE is more common and on earlier models meant leather as standard. The S spec is fine though and if anything the ride is better because the alloys are 16" instead of the 17" wheels on the SE.

Cracking cars though, look good, great seats. Only negative is letter-box shaped boot, not much rear passenger space and a harsh ride. I did nearly 100k in mine and miss it.

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - Vincent de Marco

Harsh ride ?

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - Slightlyfatdirector

Yes, the suspension 'crashes' over bumps and is not very compliant. It wasn't great on 16" wheels and would be less great on 17" wheels due to less tyre side-wall to absorb the bumps.

If you get out of a Mondeo (any generation) and into the Volvo you will find the Volvo's ride not so good. The handling is OK, but not as polished as the Ford. Or any BMW for that matter. But the Volvo has plenty of goodies on the equipment front compared to the BM, is cheaper too and (from my experience with my current BMW) more reliable!

Highly recommended tyres for the Volvo are Michelin HP Primacy by the way. Worth every penny for how they quieten down road noise and make the ride a bit better. Last longer too.

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - TheOilBurner

The T5 can either be 2.3 or 2.4 depending on year (250 and 260bhp respectively).

To confuse matters there also were 2.4 and 2.5 turbos - 2.4T 200 bhp and 2.5T 210 bhp.

And then to really confuse there was another 2.5 turbo called S60R with AWD and 300bhp.

And then there is the super rare 2.4 non-turbo with factory fit LPG or CNG, no idea if any were actually sold, but I've not seen one.

For me, I'd rather have an S80 in either D5 or 2.5T form, there's far more rear leg room, boot space and the boot entry is big enough to shove a mountain bike through, as I used to do with mine. Perhaps not as pretty as the S60 though.

I had 17" alloys on my S80 and the ride was fine, although the longer wheelbase may have helped.

Early versions of the S60 (pre-facelift) get the slightly weaker engines, but have zero Ford parts, later versions have lots of Ford parts and headlight bulbs that are a nightmare to change, etc. Given the DRLs eat bulbs for breakfast, it is a real PITA, so consider getting them disabled on a facelift car without Xenons.

Edited by TheOilBurner on 14/10/2010 at 17:35

Oh yes. Changing bulbs!! Had forgotten that dubious pleasure.

I used to try to get someone in Halfords to do it. Some would because they were determined not to be beaten doing it. Many refused point blank, and having tried it myself I don't blame them. My hands are too big.

In the end I would let the dealer do it. They are too embarrased to charge big money for this.

According to the hand book you should remove the bumper first!!! Smaller handed more dexterous people can do it though.

Volvo S60 - S60 2.0, 2.0T or 2.3T Auto? Which year is best? - Rodger
I have a 2.0T Se Auto with winter pack on an 05 plate. After 63K it still drives like new. I have only had one fault, a clunk from the near side lower wishbone (i think). The dealer said it was not dangerous but i had it done under my Warranty Direct Policy. Dealer is great btw.
Supreme comfort front seats are the best in the world, well the best i could find in my search!
Superb sound system, engine and auto box brilliant. Handling Ok, not an
"involving" drive on twisty bits.
Lots of gadgets. Feels very solid. Leather beautiful. Great motorway cruiser.
I get 33mpg but drive gently.
Worst thing for me is the ride, on 17" wheels it crashes over even tiny potholes and i mean crashes. You need the padded seat to cushion the spine.
I have the Michelins which help a bit. Not sure how they could engineer it to be that bad. A mondeo of that age will put it to shame.
Still, after 4 years, do not regret buying it.
In early 2006 Volvo were selling dozens at about half original price say £14 to £15K. They had been on short term leases. I would think many of these will be traded in and should now be bargains.