Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - Chris H.

I have a 2004 Toyota Avensis auto with 127000 miles on the clock. The idle tickover runs at about 400 RPM and the car sometimes stalls. My mechanic ( an indeoendant ) tells me that he cannot adjust the idle speed. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - Peter D

It is controlled by the ECu but I suspoect you have a stepper motor that responds to instructions form the ECU and it sounds as if that has failed, thus the low uncontrolled tick over. Regards Peter

Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - Chris H.

Thanks Peter, I am now booked in for a diagnostic check

Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - Terence Sawyer

It is controlled by the ECu but I suspoect you have a stepper motor that responds to instructions form the ECU and it sounds as if that has failed, thus the low uncontrolled tick over. Regards Peter

I have the opposite problem with a 2007 2 litre diesel where the tick over is 1100 which causes the car to accelerate when you change down without touching the pedal. any advice would be appreciated. Terry Sawyer.

Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - Heidfirst

Have you had the car long & when did you notice this behaviour? This may actually be normal at this time of year especially from cold or if you are using lots of power (light/demist/aircon).

Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - SLO76
Have you changed the cars battery recently per chance?
Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - kiss (keep it simple)

It's likely that the throttle body needs a clean.

Toyota Avensis - adjusting tickover - SLO76
If it’s had a new battery then it either needs to relearn to idle correctly as mine did which took it a few days weirdly enough but it went from idling at around 400rpm back up to normal around 700-750rpm. I believe some older models need to be reset following a procedure which is shown on videos on YouTube.