Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - hogie

Dear Backroomers,

My partner and are are looking to buy an Approved Used Focus from a franchised dealer. We are new to this type of buying having only ever bought cheap £1-2k cars before but I am however determined to get good value for money. My partner is wanting the extra piece of mind that buying from a franchised dealer gives and we fully realise we will pay a premium for that. I am not one for haggling for the sake of it or comfortable with the whole Dominic Littlewood technique and I would only ever offer a price that may be well lower than sticker, but still a fair one. A number of cars we are interested in aren't actually located at our local franchise but can be delivered. With this in mind i really don't want go down to the dealership when the car isn't there and have to go through the whole haggling process.

So, would it be reasonable or is it the done thing to email the dealer to and enquire if they would be willing to consider a lower price? For example emailing about a Ford Focus on at £5600 and asking if they would consider £4800? Also we would probably be buying on finance which brings up another question; should we be saying what monthly payment and term we would go to instead of offering a full price?

Apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice! We're feeling a bit naive to this at the moment.

Hogie

Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - Paul G1pdc

In my 23 years of car ownersship/buying (at the rate of almost 1 per year..as my wife keeps pointing out...)

most dealers don't reply to phone calls or in recent years email...you need to ring them. and don't expect them to ring you back if you have a questions they can't answer. you need to keep in touch with them...they need to know you want the car...

(selling my sister in laws focus for her in the next couple of weeks one owner 1.6 ghia petrol 55 plate 64k with FFSH for 4k if your interested...car will be near Bicester)

Paul.

Thanks Paul

We're actually hoping to pick up something with lower miles, but cheers for the offer. I would be happy to buy private but the other half is really wanting something from a franchised dealer and as she holds the purse strings in this instance, that's what'll be happening.

We really just wanted to know the best way of getting a good price without all the cat and mouse games.

Our local franchise is Benfield Ford (a minute down the road), who seem genuinely friendly and offer a years warranty as standard (instead of the usual 3 months) but aren't as competitive as Evans Halshaw for example, who also have a lot more cars on their books.

Thing is we visited the nearest Evans Halshaw to suss them out. When I enquired about having a chat about finance costs, the sales guy point blank refused to chat unless we agreed that would be buying today! I had just been singing the praises of the Benfield and thought things had changed...then we went to the Evans Halshaw and left feeling so angry and vowing never to to go back there. Saying that I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face face so am willing to visit another branch but it was a very bad first impression. I hope it was just that particular Sales rep with the bad attitude.

It gets very tiring this car buying thing....

Hogie.

Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - Paul G1pdc

hi its a bit like buying a house, you either enjoy it, or "never again" hahaha

just been through this process with my sister in law, she wanted either a A3 or Volvo XC60....yes yes completly different cars...but being male I just have to agree and go along with everything....(makes for a happy marriage/family)

anyway 2hrs was spent in each dealer (1 audi and 1 volvo) both apart from the superior coffee at volvo where the same...they didn't want to give trade in prices until everything else was sorted out, ie exact car you want, how your going to pay and if finance which deal, and extras etc etc....it takes ages....went back to Audi the following week for another 2hrs...and max pax coffee.....yuk...i can recommend volvo...hahahah

dealers don't generally like getting a car from another garage if your not there in person as you can well imagine there would be a flood of guys in errr Isle of Skye suddenly wanting test drives via the internet of Aston Martins...and the guys are all 17.....

had a dealer offer to get me a subaru from a different dealer in the past. but was made to feel that if I didn't like the car after he'd gone to the effort and expence of getting the car to the site. he'd get a little upset...so drove 62miles and drove one without that pressure....

sister in law is getting her new A3 new week......and thought I had finished with cars for a while,,then she asked me to sell her focus.....ho hum....here we go again......

good luck and try to enjoy it......warrenties...there a subject all on there own....some dealers say 3 months...other don't mention them,,,its often a case that they will sell you a warrenty 1-2 years etc on top of the price of the car....ie 6k car plus £350 for the warrenty plus £160 tax plus £50 floor mats....thats all part of your dreaded haggling....

paul.

Edited by Paul G1pdc on 24/09/2010 at 17:42

Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - ForumNeedsModerating

Unless you're really out in the sticks, I'd advise looking for a car locally.

With a 3-5 year old Focus (which is what you'll get for your pot) , you really need to see what you're buying - and maybe they'll need to see your part-ex (if you're trading that in) too..

It's a very common car, &, if you wait, I'm sure you'll see something you could buy locally (even from a franchised dealer) & be able to get face time with the dealer. Dealers really like to see the whites of your eyes to take you seriously - especially on a car that will sell quickly & that they've probably not got a huge profit in - I guess they'd clear £700-900 after costs, so your 'offer' of £1K below asking wouldn't impress I'm sure.

I would also consider a bank type loan too, for finance - or at least have the offer of such in place, before you buy. If you've got a loan already sourced, the dealer won't be able 'over-the-barrel' you, as he/she would if you take or are dependent their finance option.

Thanks Guys, interesting reading.

I think you reaffirmed what I was thinking re buying local. I would feel a little uncomfortable agreeing with seeing the car. And as it is a focus we're after, I'm sure one will pop up and when it does we just need to be decisive about it.

We're probably not going to part ex as will sell ours private and don't need it to fund this one.

One other thing, what book prices do you guys use? I've seen a fair diffrence between Parkers and What Car's valuations.

Cheers

Hogie.

Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - Graham567
Try Vauxhall's web site that gives a free glasses guide price.

www.vauxhall.co.uk/offers-finance/value-my-car.html
Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - Roly93

In my 23 years of car ownersship/buying (at the rate of almost 1 per year..as my wife keeps pointing out...)

most dealers don't reply to phone calls or in recent years email...

In my opinion they can rot in hell then !!

Ford Focus - Negotiating with Franchised dealer by email? - LucyBC

You don't seem to like haggling face-to-face so try Autoquake which shows the Parker's valuation for the vehicle against their price. No haggling necessary.

www.autoquake.com

I have had no contact or connection with the firm but it looks like a good idea.

Yeah we have looked at Autoquake but there's been some very mixed reviews, although I will keep my eye on them.

Going back to buying from a franchised dealer....Is the peace of mind thing justified when buying from them? I have read they are generally they have cream of the used cars, is this really the case? I would be more willing than my partner to use other dealers or buy private and maybe get a warranty through a third party (warranty direct etc...) but my other half is more comfortable with the idea that you have a lot more comeback with a franchise.

It may only be a 4/5 year old Focus but it still represents a significant outlay for us, hence my determination to get both a good deal and as much peace of mind as is possible from such a purchase.

Again thanks for the replys. It is making for interesting reading.

H.