Faulty fuel computer in my Renault 19 - DavidHM
I have a 1989 Renault 19 with a 1.7 litre, carb engine, which is in very good condition overall, fully loaded with nearly 83k on the clock.

Among the various electronic bits is a fuel computer that was an option when new (it includes a trip function and a digital fuel gauge). It's very rare on this engine, but it was standard on 16 valve models so parts availability is good.

The original computer failed and was replaced with a scrapyard part, which has failed in the same way after two weeks' use. This is annoying as I have no other gauge. As before, the new part shows 0_1g as the fuel level, and the low fuel wawrning light is permanently on. The temperature function works fine and I have reset the computer.

The 0_1g is also displayed on a working computer if the sender unit is not connected. Assuming that the connections haven't somehow worked themselves loose, and the computer itself hasn't coincidentally failed, what else could cause the computer to go wrong, given that changing the computer fixed the problem originally?

Any help would be much appreciated as no one seems to be able to give me an answer.
I'm pushing this to the top of the page because someone must be able to help me, right?
Faulty fuel computer in my Renault 19 - 547HEW
Low Fuel Warning Light permanently ON.

Usually this is sensed by the cluster off the tank sender, independently of the trip computer. If so, this gives a strong lead that the sender has stopped sending to the cluster (and the trip computer).

Resulting No Fuel Level Gauge

As a containment action, you could use the trip odo. By re-setting trip odo. to zero with a full tank, and then using your worst case fuel economy figure to calculate your range using manfrs published tank capacity. Back up (if sufficiently concerned) with a 5 litre can in the boot. We've used this for years on my wife's '89 Volvo 740.

Good luck.
On the R19 there is no other gauge than the computer though. Also, I thought it was most likely to be the sender, given that everything else worked on the old computer, but when I asked the garage to change the sender, they told me that the problem was actually linked to the computer unit. Now that the second computer isn't working again, it could be the sender, but I can't help wondering if there isn't some other electrical problem.