Volkswagen Golf IV - White smoke from exhaust - icouldntthinkofaname

Hi, I own a 1998 Volkswagen Golf Mark 4 - Its the 1.4 E model and plagued with problems since buying it from a trader only a couple of months ago.

The major problem is excessive white smoke coming from the exhaust from oil burning - I know its oil as I have only owned it a couple of months and I've already had to put about 7-8 litres of oil in it.

The oil is definitely not being lost through it dripping on the floor, nor is it being mixed with the coolant so head gasket has been ruled out (by 3 garages). I have been told that its likely to be the piston rings or valve stem seals but wont know unless engine is out - MAJOR and COSTLY!

So I have taken it back to the trader asking for refund, and they said they will get it fixed, anyway's to cut long story short I have got it back after a week at this traders garage and it still smokes like a trooper and the temperature gauge has risen several times from 90' to 120' in the 30 miles I have driven it.

The trader said they couldnt find ANY white smoke coming from the exhaust so they just done a basic engine service, doing an oil change, new leads and plugs and a new air filter. When I questioned that none of those things would be a cause of excess oil being burnt they said the air filter was clogged up and this would cause it?!

I know I'm a woman and I know sod all about cars but even I know that a blocked air filter will not cause the car to burn humteen litres of oil since I have owned it!! Plus it had an air filter change in April 2010 when it last had a service.

So now at a lost end as I reckon the trader possibly knows about the problem but has tried to palm me off ...

Has anyone got any other ideas as to why all this white smoke comes from the exhaust? And since I've had it back from trader the temp gauge keeps rising, signalling the engine is over heating? I personally think the whole engine is knackered and the car needs driving straight into the traders office but that's another topic .....

Cheers guys

Kim

Volkswagen Golf IV - White smoke from exhaust - hotdog

HI KIM THE WHITE SMOKE COMING FROM YOUR VOLKSWAGEN IS OIL BEING BURNT BY THE PISTONS TAKE YOUR CAR TO TRADE AND STANDERDS HOPE YOU GET IT FIXED OR YOUR MONEY BACK

Volkswagen Golf IV - White smoke from exhaust - piston power

Oil burning produces blue smoke not white,However the catalist will eat most of this up and if you have put this much oil in it the cat will be caked in oil.

A compression test will point you in the correct direction to which may be at fault, Either valve stem seals or worn bottom end ie pistons and bore wear.

I think you said it's a 1998 car i can't see on this page which id bet the stem seals have gone hard and allow oil to pass through the valves.

A new set may cure the problem, but to be honest a car this old may need more work and the cost of repair out weighs the cost of the car.

Edited by bigtee on 12/10/2010 at 23:26

Volkswagen Golf IV - White smoke from exhaust - Big John
Before spending lots of money double check the oil breather systems as this can cause all sorts of problems including very high oil consumption (pressure blows oil past valves). Three key ares to check:-

1) There is a tube that runs internally within the air filter (that the oil breather pipe is connected to) that can become blocked with oil mayo.
2) The engine rubber oil breather pipe feeding the air filter casing (left hand side stood in front of the bonnet) can collapse/rot.
3) Oil breather assembly attached to the back of the engine (if the oil breather pipe is OK remove oil filler cap and blow down the pipe - if no resistance should be OK)

No 1) is quite likely - easy job - remove air filter housing and top. Flush the pipe with carb cleaner or white spirit .There is a mushroom valve at the end. On mine a huge amount of oil mayo came out - high oil consumption fell to near zero (no top up between service)