ABC (absolute b****y carelessness) - hillman

SWMBO and I saw an example of ABC last night on the road between Rainow and Kettleshume. There are two nice bends up on the tops, both are 40mph, the upper one easy and the lower less so. As we rounded the upper one a small white Citroen overtook us part way down the hill. That happens to us fairly often because I don’t like to go hell for leather down hills then brake for the bends. Generally the overtaking car has to brake heavily before the bend and when the road is wet it is dodgy, especially after a dry period. But, the road was dry. This time we rounded the bend to see the white Citroen at right angles to the road. I had to stop pretty sharply. The driver accelerated in reverse to the nearside verge, overcooked it and knocked down one of the chevron yellow and black signs. Hitting the sign stopped him on the edge of the drop into the field and then he turned and accelerated like a Formula 1 towards Kettlehulme. He must have been so embarrassed ! No need to hurry I told SWMBO, we’ll catch him up in the queue at the Whaley Bridge lights, and we did.