VW Golf Mk2 1.6 /Polo - Gearchange bushes etc refurb - pmh3

I have posted this on the (VW) Clubgti site, but surprisingly have not had any answers!

Anybody who has owned an ageing VW has probably done the job, although they probably have done the full refurb of all the bushes necessitating removal (and subsequent resetting) of all the linkage.

The car is actually a SEAT Cordoba Vario 1.6 1998 (almost a Polo Estate!). Rod change, very Golf like, with the vertical (not horizontal) rubber ball+ arm.

The rubber ball on the gearchange relay shaft has disintegrated leaving the white nylon like core. I have a push fit rubber ball on order.

Can any body tell me if I can withdraw the relay shaft upwards after just removing the clip on the bottom of the shaft. This saves dismantling the clamp etc on the rod and losing all alignment. Should turn it into a nice quick job?

I have posted it as a Golf on the basis that there are very few Cordobas about! It appears that all sorts of things were fitted at around this date - most Polos were cable operated gearchange. But maybe the 1.6 retained the rod set up - it certainly appears in ELSAWin correctly, altho model year is wrong!