BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drvers footwell. - anzfar

Hi. Im struggling to find the source of a water leak. Please bear with me and i'll try and give as much info as poss.

Water is getting into the drivers side footwell and it seems to be coming from the area where the accelerator pedal is. Ive read other posts and they've mentioned behind the door card, however, thats bone dry and also the carpet directly underneath the door is dry too.

Ive checked the drainage points on the inside of both wings and they are not blocked. I have read I need to remove the windscreen wiper arms as there are another 2 drainage points underneath. I can't get the windscreen wiper arm off. Ive read that you need to press down on the wiper blade 6cm from where the nut is and it should pop up but its no luck. How do I remove it?

Also, its not coolant I can smell either, just water. I don't know how and if I should mess around with the accelator pedal to remove the carpet. Ive put my hand in all the nooks and crannies to see if its wet and its all dry. The top of the carpet where the pedals are, is also dry.

I did notice once that there was a puddle where the bonnet release handle is but no water since which is odd. Although the rear footwells are bone dry, the boot has this musty smell yet theres no water visible under the spare tyre or where the battery is...any ideas?

The guy I bought it from had the windscreen replaced but I can't feel anything wet or see anything leaking either. I don't have a sunroof.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate your help. Thanks for taking the time to read this gents.

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drvers footwell. - Dutchie

Hello ,nice car the windscreen when was it replaced maybe you need new rubber.Bottum of drivers door is is nothing loose inside the door.All the material is fast water may be getting past side window.You have checked in the engine bay no channels blocked small leaves.Hopes this helps a bit.

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drvers footwell. - Dutchie

Put a hose on the windsreen somebody on the backseat see if they see any leaks water is getting in somewhere.just thinking.

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drivers footwell. - anzfar

I get the car washed every 1-2 weeks and sit in the car whilst its being washed. Ive never seen a drop anywhere getting into the car.

Its started to rain again and this time ive noticed the water is actually building up in the rear drivers side footwell. The door seals are dry. Nothing leaking around the windows or at the bottom of the door. The tops of the carpet where the water would hit first is dry (if it was leaking from windows/seals) I began to notice a musty smell in the boot (similar to smells you get when you turn your heaters on) and I reckon it started to smell as the water was building up before it reached the top of the carpet. Again, the boot is completely dry. Will have to take it to a garage if no-one has any suggestions.

I finally managed to get the wiper arms off and theres no drainage points there!!

Does anyone know where the drainage plugs are (if any) in the floor as I can't see any. Cheers.

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drivers footwell. - bmw-e46

Dear Anzfar;

Woud you like to tell , or share your rest of the problem, which u had. How did you solved it? I have got the same problem. My heater two button was not working, after fixing that, I get water at rear of driver floor and driver as well. the carpet are full of water. and all other door and side of the door are dry.

I really appreciate. my bmw model is 320d reg 2003

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drivers footwell. - Collos25

A common fault with BMW is the windscreen rubber rots and allows water ingress can be seen by small cracks in the rubber seal .

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drivers footwell. - kttx

Hello, I see that this is an old thread but wondering if anyone had these issues resolved.

I have a 325iT and end up with damp carpet behind the driver's seat after heavy rain. Haven't noticed anything during car washes. The smell is quite remarkable though.

Thanks.

Edited by kttx on 16/05/2014 at 16:51

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drivers footwell. - vale46

Have any of you guys got a sunroof? If yes, then you may want to check the drains to the front and rear of the sunroof cartridge, as these can get blocked, or alternatively the drain tube can get loosened from the fitment. Basically any water that can get down the relatively thin tubes then floods into the car around the bonnet release handle area, making the floor/carpet/underlay saturated. This can then move to the rear footwell, once the car is parked on an incline... Just remove the headlining/door seal, pull down the headlining being careful not to crease or break it and check the tubes. If any oar loose, put them back on properly and cable tie them them nto the fitting. Then pour iberal amounts of water on the roof area and watch with pleasure as it comes out behind the front wheels :-)

BMW 3 Series E46 - water leaking under carpet in drivers footwell. - Eagle1

Hi....I have a late 2002 320ci and this problem is driving me mad. Whenever it rains heavily the drivers footwell get soaked. I have had to cut the carpet all round (which I was so disappointed to have to do but had no choice). I am no nearer to finding the problem but it is coming in from behind the pedals. I do not have a sunroof. I have read it could be the drainage points under the bonet, but I don't know what I am looking for to be honest. I have checked the windscreen and surrounding areas but still nothing. I was interested to read about water by the bonet release handle, I do have some droplets resting on the handle area. Hopefully we can all find a solution to our problem. I will keep an eye open for any further ideas and or suggestions. Many thanks for the suggestions I have read already

Cheers M