Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, 2007 - Pitted exhaust - argybargy

Bought the above car about five weeks ago--by and large very pleased with it. However, I belatedly decided the other day to take a look under the car at the exhaust...appears to be in a bit of a state. The rear silencer is very pitted and the tailpipe so badly corroded that point at which the hanging bracket touches the pipe is just a blob of rust. The car has only done 33,000 miles, so its almost certainly the factory fitted system.

First question is this: someone told me these silencers are manufactured with a double skin, so that even if the outside perforates, the system wont leak until the inner skin goes as well. Ive never heard this before--is it true? Sometimes when I pull away it sounds like the exhaust is blowing, but on inspecting/ listening underneath to it I cant identify any actual leaks.

Second question, if there are any exhaust fitters reading this, can this particular system be replaced in sections or does it only come in one piece, including the cat? Ive had a price for one section from a garage; another has told me that the system only comes as one unit. I dont want to go to the first harbouring the suspicion that theyre going to butcher the system and splice a piece in when they should replace the lot. Its the Climate Zetec, with the 115bhp engine.

Thanks.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, 2007 - Pitted exhaust - acornarms

hi

i have a 2.0 ford focus which is ten years old that is on the factory fitted system still and that has the outer skin with holes in and not blowing at this moment time i would just keep an eye on it.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, 2007 - Pitted exhaust - mikej

Not sure about the mk2s, but the rear silencers on the mk1 were notorious for rusting through prematurely. I actually tore off the outer skin on mine once it started hanging off (the lower section below the seam) and it was fine for many years after that.

I got around 75k miles from the original exhaust on my 1.8i 1999 mk1 IIRC and got the whole lot replaced at ATS for £170 (flexi pipe, centre silencer and rear silencer). The centre and rear sections of the mk1 exhaust came as one piece, but replacements often come in two separate sections so that sections can be replaced individually.

It's possible (and common) for garages to cut the one-piece OEM exhaust at the correct point and replace the rear silencer if it's only that that needs replacing.

I would just monitor the situation if I were you - if it's just pitted and rusty, then there's not a lot you can do about it - metal polish used to improve the appearance of my OEM chrome tail pipe.

Edited by mikej on 10/09/2010 at 21:45

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, 2007 - Pitted exhaust - argybargy

Thanks guys. I'll monitor the situation as suggested. No point in worrying about something I cant see or hear, is there?