BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D Does Dual Mass Flywheel needs replacing? - BMW320D SPORT

Hi All,

My car has been making a strange noise for about the past 40,000 miles when releasing the clutch in Neutral. I have been told this is the clutch release bearing and is nothing to worry about (Which seems to be true as I have covered 40,000 miles with no problems since the noise began)

Anyway a week ago I felt like the clutch was slipping, it only happen twice within about 10 mins so I presumed the clutch would need replacing as I've done 128k on the original clutch. Anyway, it was driving perfect afterwards but I booked it in for a clutch check anyway.......

The garage then rang and told me the DMF was in a bad condition and needed replacing along with the clutch and £1000 bill to go with it!

Anyway, I asked them to put it back together as they said the clutch was not at fault but would need replacing along with the DMF.

I have since been driving it round and it drives like the day I had it. Surely if the DMF was in such bad state as they said I would encounter some sort of issues with it?!? It drives really smooth with no judder or slip which makes me think they are trying it on.

The only thing I have noticed is since I've had it back from them I know have an intermittent clicking/ticking noise that I didn't have before I took it in! This increases with revs but when I did the clutch it is still present so I'm presuming it's nothing to do with DMF and is probably something trivial as it disappears for a day or two and then returns for a couple of hours etc?

Soryr for the long e-mail and any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm just hesistant to pay out that sort of cash when the car seems to be driving perfectly!!

Many Thanks

Chris

BMW 320D SPORT 2004 - BMW 320D Does Dual Mass Flywheel needs replacing? - Collos25

When it was in bits you should have had a look at the damaged DMF that way you would have known whether the garage was trying a fast one.As it is you do not know for certain if its ok and if it goes now causing catastrophic damage you will have no where to turn exept to pay out.Much as I dislike main dealers they are as a rule pretty honest when it comes to large items like this and they gave plenty of opportunity to come and look at the worn part.