Citreon C3 1.4 52 reg - O/S Coil Spring Snapped - clewsy01

Hi, my mother in laws C3 has just snapped its drivers side coil spring. After trawling the net I have vound numerous complaints about this. Are they really that common in breaking? Also is it easy to replace or should it go to a garage, as obviously I will need a coil compression tool to compress the spring during fitting.

michael

Citreon C3 1.4 52 reg - O/S Coil Spring Snapped - galileo

My elder daughter had a C3 a few years ago, there was a safety recall to fit a shield or larger cup to the bottom of front springs because there had been instances of broken springs gouging tyres (with obvious dire results)

Broken springs on European cars are quite common (as per HJ's column in today's Telegraph)

Citreon C3 1.4 52 reg - O/S Coil Spring Snapped - Peter D

Slow down for the speed bumps. Tou can not drive over these at at 15 and 20 Mph you will break front springs. Regards Peter

I have just had a look at the recall on VOSA website and it may appear that the car has not been done on the recall as the cup is very small. Anybody got an idea what size of cup was fitted to the recall's. I think I will give citroen a bell and chase them up as to wether it was done.

The spring has snapped and dropped with down the whole strut knocking and sc***ing the wheel , so the car is resting on the wheel arch liner on top of the tire.

The car was being reversed slowly out of the drive when it happened, but obviously could have been worse in a different situation.

Citreon C3 1.4 52 reg - O/S Coil Spring Snapped - galileo

I have just had a look at the recall on VOSA website and it may appear that the car has not been done on the recall as the cup is very small. Anybody got an idea what size of cup was fitted to the recall's. I think I will give citroen a bell and chase them up as to wether it was done.

Like many cars now I think the spring tapers so the bottom is smaller diameter: the recall I think fitted a cup or shield wide enough to catch the spring if it broke above the small coils at the bottom.

I would think your friendly local garage or Citroen Dealer would be able to tell at a glance if the fix was done.

Citreon C3 1.4 52 reg - O/S Coil Spring Snapped - Berisford

Interesting that, i've got a 04 Vw and its nearside front spring broke last weekend whilst I was reversing off the drive!

£40 for the part and alot of swearing during the job.

Well i think my mother in law is very lucky now. Spoke to citroen today who confirmed the recall and that her car was one not done. However the recall was for a larger bottom cup, so they will pick up the car do the work in fitting the cups FOC so long as she pays for the new spring as aparently on the recall the spring would not be replaced they are happy to do the work ofr just the cost of the spring with citroen paying for the rest inc labour.

jaw dropped to the floor

Citreon C3 1.4 52 reg - O/S Coil Spring Snapped - jroller

my daughter had a front spring break in jan this year(2012) on her 04 pluriel fortunately she was going very slowly so it just dropped .phoned up citroen garage after reading of recall on 02 reg C3s but they said it wasnt included. On a chance I phoned up citroen cusomer services and as soon as i mentioned the fault they said (without any argument) they would pay for it which they did! and replaced Both sides springs, leg, abs wires and a new tyre as a precaution so they must know of a continuing fault past 02 and on pluriels as well. unfortunately tonight (march 12 )a rear spring has just snapped while in the driveway i dont think i will be as lucky this time.