Can i improve economy of an automatic? - wazza

I am interested in a Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 diesel with a 6 speed automatic gearbox. When in D (drive) i can flick the selector towards left and change the gears manually. When in D i noticed that at around 50mph the car is in 5 th gear (dashboard display tells you what gear you are in). I can select 6 th gear manually with no problems.

I know that automatics are less economical than manual gearbox. If i change the gears manually can i improve the mpg figures? Hope i make sense.

Before anyone says buy a manual i have problems with my legs and find using clutch a problem sometimes.

Edited by wazza on 01/09/2010 at 03:04

Can i improve economy of an automatic? - Armitage Shanks {p}

When driving my partner's automatic it is clear to me that it is driving around town one gear lower than it needs to be. She isn't very technically minded but when I drive it I do what you describe ie manually change up a gear.

BTW some modern boxes, Mercs for one, are actually more economical than manual ones, I believe

Can i improve economy of an automatic? - bathtub tom

>>BTW some modern boxes, Mercs for one, are actually more economical than manual ones, I believe

I expect some drivers will achieve better economy with an auto, due to their driving style. I reckon an economy minded driver will always achieve better economy with a manual.

Anyway, you can't coast an auto. ;>)

Can i improve economy of an automatic? - John F

Anyway, you can't coast an auto. ;>)

Oooooh yes you can.... :-)

Can i improve economy of an automatic? - the_bandit

If you manually select 6th and achieve lower revs whilst maintaining road speed then I see no reason why you would not experience an improvement in economy.

However you may find you can adjust your accelerator pedal position (i.e. a shade lighter) whilst in normal automatic mode and it will just change up to 6th itself. I guess it just depends how the software and mechanics of your Vauxhall box are made up.

Can i improve economy of an automatic? - daveyjp

You need to find the change points as autos are programmed to keep the car at a compromise between the best point gear for car control and economy. If they changed up too early when you want to accelerate the car will need to change down. MPG differences are largely down to the torque convertor on traditional autos.

On my X type if I drive at an indicated 30mph it's in 3rd, increase this to 32 (which is actually 30) it changes to 4th, but it does cause it to hunt slightly as if I drop to 29 it drops a gear - at times when I know I'll be slowing I keep to 30 and stay in 3rd. At quieter times when I can maintain 30ish longer I'll increase speed slightly to get it to change to 4th and maintain 30 in 4th gear. 3rd is better when I need to accelerate as no change down is required. 30mph in 3rd is just about 1600 rpm - ideal revs to benefit from the torque of the car, the next change comes at just below 2,000 rpm dropping back to 1500 with the next gear.

It's a similar situation around the 60 mark - get it to about 62 and it will change to 6th gear from 5th and be at about 1500 rpm.

I've had Audi DSGs and mpg is equal/better than manuals, but they don't change to top gear until 50+ mph which puts to bed the myth that high gear at low speeds results in better fuel economy.

Can i improve economy of an automatic? - Berisford

In reply to the original post question; No.

If the official MPG figure is 35 you'll be lucky to get 30 in the real world. Driving like a saint may get you a bit nearer but that is hard work.

As some other posts have said, forcing the next gear may be possible but you ain't going to get any mpg return from that.

I've got a VW Transporter with a 6 speed Tiptronic, it often seems to be working too hard and I'll sometimes flick it up a gear but the moment I want a little more power it comes back down. So the bottom line is I just leave it alone.

Further, what’s the point having the 'automatic' if you're constantly trying to do its job as you drive? I say buy the automatic and enjoy it, if it costs a little more on fuel then so what, it'll be nothing compared to the depreciation!