motoring in france - jag

i.m going to france in 10 days time via dover/dunkirk. been looking at the regulations over there and noticed radar / speed camera detectors are strictly forbidden. not in the habit of exceeding speed limits but have disabled the warnings on my tom tom. i was wondering what is to stop some bolshie cop from assuming my sat nav is warning active and fining me anyway? all comments on this and other french motoring tips appreciated. tia, jag.

motoring in france - Dutchie

You don't have to disable the warnings on your tom tom jag,i did't using my tom tom.Radar dectectors which pick up mobile speedtraps are not allowed.Nice driving in France i use toll roads and N and D roads depending if you are in a rush.We are going again in september from calais to Lourdes we have a stop in rouen ibis nice and clean.Take your time when you set off from dunkirk get used to driving on the right.Stick to the speed limits watch the round abouts same rule as here and enjoy your break.

motoring in france - jag

thanks, staying the first night at rheims so not too far to go for the start. haven't driven on the continent since 1988, went to germany. things will likely have changed a bit since then. jag.

Twenty years long time ago, traffic just like here jag more cars on the road.Nice distance to rheims you soon get used to driving on the right if you have a passenger let them remind you driving on the right.Check up on roadsigns give way signs and on equal roads traffic has right of way from your right same as in holland.The service stations are good on the motorway there are lots of coffee lemonade etc machines cheaper than buying from the counter.I always find it more difficult coming back from the continent driving on the left and i have been driving here for thirty years.

motoring in france - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

No- roundabouts are not the same as here. You go round them anti clockwise and give way to traffic appearing from your left!

A lot of motorists seem to expect priorite a droute as well. ie if you are on the main road, give way to people pulling out of side roads or lay bys. Ridiculous IMHO.But watch it.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 26/08/2010 at 20:46

Ones you are on the roundabout you have right of way same as in the uk.Or things have changed this year i was driving in france two months ago.Jag will realise when he turns left he goes anticlockwise nowhere else to go.

Also jag make sure you have a high visibility jackett in the car if you are taking anybody with you for each person a jackett.The gendarmes will give out a hefty euro fine if they stop you for any reason and they cant see the jacketts.Dont put them in the boot but on the seat.I always carry them with me now also in the uk.And the usual things spare bulb set first aid kit warning triangle decent torch.All the papers insurance breakdown service proof of ownership of the car and i stick on headlight reflectors.I carry a full spare tyre maybe iam overcautious.better be safe than sorry.Oh and a decent roadmap, michelin besides the tom tom. Hope i haven't bored you to death just like to help.:)

motoring in france - jc2

Spare bulb set is recommended but not compulsory.And if your car has hazard flashers the triangle is no longer compulsory.

motoring in france - veryoldbear

I do the same as Dutchie and carry a full-size spare. I got caught out once and had to hobble back on a space-saver (tyre prices in France are not exactly competitive and as they sell different brands etc, you could well get stuck having to buy two tyres if you have a serious blowout).

motoring in france - mike hannon

I don't want to cause confusion over this, but the advice above re roundabouts doesn't tell the whole story.

There are actually TWO sets of roundabout rules and you can't always be absolutely sure which is in operation, so always look for the 'cedez passage' or 'vous n'avez pas le priorite' signs as you approach. That means the rule is the same as the UK and traffic already on the roundabout has priority. This rule generally applies to roundabouts outside urban areas.

HOWEVER, in towns and cities it is often the case that traffic joining the roundabout has priority and if you are on the roundabout you must give way to traffic entering.

But you can't totally rely on which system will be in operation - you have to have your wits about you. Even the French get very confused - stand by a town roundabout if you get a chance and watch the confusion.

And be very aware of the old 'priorite a droite' rule, which means traffic can often emerge from a side turning on your right with full priority. Bonkers, but it is still the case. This is more often the case in urban areas but it still applies in the countryside as well. Keep an eye out for the warning signs. A black and yellow lozenge shape means you have priority on that road, and one with a line through it means you don't. Also, on country roads, look out for a black on white 'X' sign in a red triangle, which means you don't have priority at the junction ahead EVEN IF YOU ARE ON THE MORE MAJOR ROAD. Most minor side roads are also marked with white posts topped with a red band so you can spot them as you approach.

Sorry to harp on about this, but I've been over here more than eight years, driven nearly 150k kilometres in France and I still get caught out from time to time.

Also, because French road rules still date from age of the bicycle, you are supposed, by law, to give 2 metres space when passing cyclists, which is why you will often see drivers in France slow right down, wait for opposing traffic to clear and then indicate left and pull out to pass someone on a bike, even if there seems to be plenty of room for everybody.

There's an AA site you can google for that gives the legal requirements for travelling in European countries.

Bon chance - and enjoy the trip!

Oh, and if you're driving a 'jag', give me a wave...

Edited by mike hannon on 27/08/2010 at 11:08

motoring in france - bintang

After crossing, head for the nearest newsagent ("agent de presse") and buy a copy of the Code Rousseau. This is the published version of the French Highway Code and is splendidly clear, even if you can't read French. I always used to display a copy on the dash to convince cops I was a serious driver.

motoring in France - BigJohnD

As someone who drives in France frequently, just treat roundabouts as a mirror image of those in the UK. A lot of roundabouts on dual carriageways filter the traffic into one lane on the approach which are likely to have reducing speed limits of 90km/h, 70kmh.

There are some junctions vaguely representing roundabouts in central Paris which are a law unto themselves, but driving is Paris is akin to a suicide mission anyway, so avoid or get the Metro or RER.

Re: speed cameras - only the devices in your car which emit radio beams are illegal. The passive sat nav warning is fine. Reality is that I've yet to come across a speed camera that didn't have a warning sign a kilometre or so before, so you've no excuse if you get flashed. Generally they're in places like the bottom of hill or long flat straights where speed tends to build up easily and even unconsciously.

The French are very good at observing speed limits, and this can lead to bunching right on the 130km/h limit at busy times, with cars far closer together than on UK motorways. But on the more rural sections, they're a delight, especially lengthy free sections like the A75 (apart from the toll over the Viaduc de Millau). The French tarmac is a lot quieter to than the heavy-duty anti-skid rain-draining UK variety, too, which increases the enjoyment.

Make sure you have enough gilets (hi viz waistcoats) in the cabin of your car for all your passengers. You must put them on BEFORE you get out of the car; do not put them in the boot so you have to get out to get them. Also carry a reflective red warning triangle. All this sounds very safety conscious, but if you do come across an incident, you will see so many people in hi-viz waistcoats wandering about, you'll struggle to work out who are the casualties and who are the rescue services.

As regards spare bulbs and GB plates, personally I wouldn't worry. Ever tried changing a headlight on a Renault? And if an HID fails, the handbook will say its a dealer job. There are loads of cars driving around with only one head lamp. More important is that the dipping to the left is sorted out so as oncoming traffic is not dazzled. The cars which retain LH dip are very easy to spot and more likely to be pulled up.

A first aid kit is probably only good for a broken finger nail, as for anything serious, you call an ambulance.

Keep right at all times and be polite, stick your cruise control on 110 or 130km/h, turn on the iPod, enjoy the view and you'll have a wonderful time!

(A couple of weeks ago diesel was equivalent of 90p/litre (€1.10) in the French supermarkets - if only it was that price here.)

Edited by BigJohnD on 27/08/2010 at 15:47

motoring in France - carr

I live in France and would say that the French are not good at observing speed limits. If you stick to the limit on single carriageway roads you will be tailgated, try not to be intimidated.

Drivers look out for each other, if you are flashed by oncoming traffic then there is almost certainly a mobile speed trap in the next few kilometres.

I've been stopped a couple of times in gendarme controls. They are only interested in seeing your documents for ownership and insurance and driving licence.

Edited by carr on 28/08/2010 at 21:46

motoring in France - Dutchie

I agree about the tailgating happened to me a few times ignore it.You are right about the papers but your car has french numberplates you live in france.With a foreign number plate i would rather carry more than is needed in case they ask better be safe than sorry.

motoring in France - NARU

If you print out your route on the viamichelin website, it'll give you the locations of the fixed speed cameras on your route.

The priorite a droit thing is a menace - you have to keep so alert. I missed one and nearly got wiped out by a french reg freelander. Note that priorite a droit applies not only to traffice joining the road to go the same direction as you, but even to traffic crossing your path to go the opposite direction!!!!!

But ... biggest complaint from my wife was that the autoroutes were so boring - there's almost no traffic on them (compared with UK motorways).

motoring in France - Armitage Shanks {p}
VERY difficult to find out how to adapt modern headlights to continental driving ie no pattern on the glass/plastic on which to stck tape! When I went in May I just cut out 2 pointy triangles (the word is Scalene) and stuck them in a sensible place on the experior plastic covers. Le Plod Francais wasn't about to know if they worked or not and it made it look as though I had made an effort! Allegedly one must have original V5 etc, photopies not acceptable.
motoring in France - woodster

I'm down in the Ariege region at my mate's place now. 1300 miles in and Octavia's been perfect. Bordeaux periphique was a pain but other than that perfect roads. Set the cruise at 135 kmh and relax. You can't do that in the UK! 10 of us go- karting near Pau this afternoon - no pressure....

Just a question woodster you are in France at the moment,we are going to Lourdes in september 3 weeks from now.First stop in france rouen from calais.I am looking for the quickest route but i want to avoid Paris.I prever the toll roads from rouen leaving about half nine in the morning,we got untill eleven pm to arrive at our hotel.Any suggestion please for which route. Thanks.

We went A16 then A28 to Le Mans and through to Tours, then A10 all the way down to the Basque region. Around Bordeaux was bad but then it was a Saturday in August when the French are on their hols and probably changeover day for holiday accomodation. Other than that it was a cinch everywhere. Ive got a website on favourites that gives travel advice for France but as Im not on my computer I cant recall its name. Maybe worth a search.

Thanks woodster i have a look at the map of france we be travelling on a tuesday ,channel tunnel my wife is scared of the sea.When its choppy not for her.:)

I'd advise avoiding Bordeaux - the few times I've been there, there's always been autoroute congestion, both from queueing at the toll plaza and from the sheer volume of traffic at intersections.

I'd suggest South from Rouen via Évreux, Dreux and Chartres, mostly via the RN154, to join the A10 north of Orléans

Then the A71 past Vierzon and onto the A20 for Châteauroux, Limoges, Brive and joining the A62 for Toulouse. Then take the A62 for Tarbes and then exit for Lourdes.

Details of France's autoroutes here: http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/homepage.html which has a good journey planner, will give the toll charges and show the location of speed cameras and the toll booths.

Your journey is almost 1,000km, which is a lot to do in one day.
Tolls: approx €35. (There's big sections which are toll free.)

Edited by BigJohnD on 01/09/2010 at 12:37

Thanks John,i know its a long distance from rouen,normally we have a few stops in France overnight.Last time we had a stopover in Chartres.We might leave Rouen a bit earlier we got untill 11pm to arrive in Lourdes.I see how we feel if not we might have a stop before Lourdes.Thanks for the info appreciated.

Bon voyage!

motoring in France - jag

thanks for all the info, we are off on tues to catch the ferry , dover/dunkirk on wed.

Well just by way of interest we're home. 2500 miles in the new Octavia at an average 45mpg. Cruised at 85 on the autoroutes and air con on for all of it. I'm happy with that. Ariege to Le Mans for an overnight stop was unremarkable as was Le Mans to Calais. Got there 2 and 1/2 hours early and straight on the next train at no extra cost. Another 100 miles home, nearly there and almost taken out by some idiot in a CRV looking at the map on his wife's lap. How ironic, all that way without incident then nearly crunched 3 miles from home. We're back in January for some skiing and just debating flying vs. driving the whole journey without an overnighter. One other thing - it hadn't occurred to me until we were nearly back at Calais - no aches in my right leg that I always got in the Golf. Perfectly comfortable in the Octy and I think it's validated itself as a good buy.

Hello Woodster nice you are back savely.That reminds me of a sad story years ago.When i sold my Lada to a chap who lives not far from me .I took the car to his house after giving it a good clean and tidy up.His wife made me a cup of tea and the chap told me he lost his son not long ago after a motorcycle accident.His son been travelling all over europe without a scratch and his final run over the Humber bridge got killed by a car running him of the road.I felt very small and humble when i left his house.

motoring in france - John F

Most speed cameras are preceded by a large sign saying something like 'pour votre securite..' and a picture of radio waves. Unfortunately they are grey, not yellow - and I missed one in the dark going down past Lille in April [thought I'd passed it], and got flashed. However, so far I haven't got a letter...and my French friend assures me I never will!

My excuse, such as it is, was that it was 2am on Sunday morning, the road [fast dual carriageway] was virtually deserted, and it was a 90kph section.

Just a update driving in France the police are stopping a lot of foreign cars at the moment ,this was mentioned on a radio program.Carry a warning triangle in the boot the gendarmes are asking for it and the high viz jacketts on your seat not in the boot.Hazard warning lights is not a excuse you can have a electrical failure on your car.And headlight reflectors not a bit of tape for the sake of a few quid .The fines are high.