Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Ben 10

Anyone tempted to buy Vauxhall.

The bumph in the paper said you only need to take for an annual inpection. Not true. You need to service it every year. Thats ££££s. The dealership were surprised Vauxhall came out with this. He said they are confident in the product for reliability. Every Vauxhall I've owned has been nothing but trouble and a costly one.

And how long would it be to hit 100,000 miles. Not as long as a "lifetime". Or is that the lifetime of your average car nowadays

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Armstrong Sid

This subject was covered here not very long ago

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=86141

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Ben 10

Maybe, but now its up and running I wondered what the feeling was about it. I must say that thread passed me by.

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Avant

I would think that people feel the same as they did in the other thread, which wasn't that long ago.

Vauxhall are probably not taking too many risks here. Only a minority are bought by private individuals, the rest being sold to fleets, hire car companies, the police etc. and won't be kept long-term by their first owners.

In over 40 years of owning cars I've never had a Vauxhall, and I don't see myself breaking that fine record in the foreseeable future. I've test-driven them often to satisfy myself that it isn't just prejudice and I really don't want one.

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Talking Hoarse

Well I for one would be much more keen to buy a new Vauxhall now, an automatic maybe a diesel auto. Am I alone?

The reassurance of a long warranty would be really good as I keep my cars for ever - my Vectra auto is 11 years old and just gone into "semi retirement", with a new i30 diesel auto added to my garage. I was tempted to buy the Hyundai as it is not only a nice drive, but has a traditional toque converter gearbox, has a chain cam, and a 5 year warranty, all at a price no comparable Vauxhall or Ford could match. However the warranty Vauxhall now offer would have tempted me to pay the (considerable) extra toward an Astra or maybe Meriva diesel auto.

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - brum

I wonder if it would tempt the dozens of backroom posters with snapped camshafts back?

Or is a camshaft a wear and tear item?

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Dutchie

I suppose as any warranty read the small print :)

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - barney100

The lifetime is 100,000 miles? thats nothing these days, I am not impressed with modern Vauxhalls which seem bland and quite expensive. Manufacturers give nothing away normally but the Kia and Hyundai warranties sound interesting.

You say nothing barney 100.000 miles but the majority of people are nervous any car over 50.000 miles.At least Vauxhall is trying and there are jobs at stake in the UK.

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - carl_a

The lifetime is 100,000 miles? thats nothing these days, I am not impressed with modern Vauxhalls which seem bland and quite expensive. Manufacturers give nothing away normally but the Kia and Hyundai warranties sound interesting.

100,000 is good for a warranty, it would be silly to go over this amount as the cars simply aren't designed for it. They won't design the cars to last longer as they're after selling more and many people want safer, more reliable and better fuel economy that comes with evolution. Modern Opel are so much better than they used to be, they've all be quite naff up until the latest range, Id's say the current crop seem very reasonable.

They also aren't giving anything away, it's built into the cost of the car. If they don't have the warranty people like myself wouldn't even bother looking, I'd be tempted to buy one now, wasn't before and that's why its good for GM. After all, if the cars built well it won't cost them anything.

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - primeradriver

As mentioned by yours truly in a previous incarnation of this discussion (and re-iterated by Avant above), Vauxhall won't be spending much on this one. Only a very small percentage of the Vauxhall cars sold will be covered by this plan, so it'll work out cheaply for them.

It does look very good for the buyers who buy new, privately, and keep the car a long time. And if all of the mainstream box-shifters were to do the same it would hurt Kia and Hyundai I'm sure -- and I'm equally sure that this is the aim. If the Koreans lost the private market they'd be in trouble.

But I don't think it'll happen -- the only other manufacturer who could get away with such a warranty is Ford, as they are the only other manufacturer so biased towards the fleet market.

Would it persuade me to buy a new Vauxhall? No. Vauxhall's list prices are too high, and the method of getting a cheap new Vauxhall is pre-reg, which won't be covered. It wouldn't surprise me if Vauxhall don't bother with many private deals through dealerships while this warranty is in force.

And that leads me to the other wrinkle -- GM's sister company, Opel, aren't offering this deal on the same terms. At some point the two are bound to be "harmonised" -- and who would like to place money on the Vauxhall deal being extended to the rest of Europe?

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - Collos25

Look at the mileage on some taxi/hire cars and airport shuttle cars at100k they are not run in.

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - akr

I've just read this thread for the first time and can't believe how negative it is. Whether it costs Vauxhall anything or not is of no relevance to me. I buy new cars and keep them 4 or 5 years. At the moment I have a Golf and the wife has a Saab, both of which have the usual 3 year warranty so with both I have to cough up for repairs in the 4th and 5th year. With a Vauxhall I wouldn't have to so immediately we're now thinking of an Astra convertible (whenever they come out - I have £1250 of GM points discount too) rather than an Eos or another 93, purely because of the warranty. Surely, if Vauxhall persuade people like me to buy a new car on the basis of a new warranty then they've done a good job, particularly since I don't see VW rushing to match it!!!!!

I've always found Vauxhalls to be good cars so this just convinces me more - it's the inherent snobbery of people in this country who discount them - "oo i couldn't possibly be seen in a lowly Vauxhall"!!! I don't suppose your lofty BMWs, Mercedes etc. will have such a warranty in the near future!!!!????

Vauxhall "Lifetime" Warranty - primeradriver

You can count me out of the "snobbery" category -- I couldn't care less what badge my car wears. Indeed my history of Mitsubishis (first manufacturer to introduce a three year warranty; first company to introduce a >5 year warranty on drivetrain), Nissans (third company to introduce a three year warranty, Honda having been the second), Hyundais (5 year) and Daewoos (first with a servicing package, now have a five year complete purchasing package), and now being tempted by a Kia (seven year warranty) will tell you that this kind of warranty system is far more likely to attract me than badge.

Indeed it seems to me that you with your fancy Golf and Saab would fit the "snob" profile rather better than someone like me ;)

I just have my suspicions about this one -- too many holes, chief of which being the first owner only thing -- why?

Edited by primeradriver on 31/08/2010 at 01:24

Maybe its to do what anybody can afford to pay.I dont know where the snobbery comes in.Years ago when our children where small,i cycled to work and most of my work mates had cars and drove to work.I didt want to go into debt for a car and we went without more inportant for us was decent food and clothing for the kids.Buying a car for the sake of a badge or going into a lot of debt cant see the point.I still have good memories of my old vw beetle driving abroad and one of the lads sleeping on the back seat.:)