Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - starfield

i have got a nissan micra k11. it has manual transmission, a 1L engine and 47k on the clock on a 51 reg. here is a description of the issue:

i have a constant whine when coasting (done only for test purposes!!) the car. the faster i coast, the louder the whine.

when i press the clutch, there is a whine as well. if the car is stationary and press the clutch, there is no whine however.

the gear change on the car is without problem.

what could this be?

Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - Avant

Moved to Technical where I hope you'll get some helpful replies.

Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - Peter D

What pitch is this whine and does the pitch change with speed. Regards Peter

Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - Peter.N.

...and does it do it in all gears - if so its most likely differential bearings.

when you are coasting, there is less noise coming from the engine, the whine is audible and the faster you coast the louder or the higher the pitch

i cannot really hear it when in gear. if it is there, it could be masked by the engine noise.

i will check again and let you know

doesn't differential bearing apply only to rear wheel drive vehicles? mine is a micra!!!

Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - Peter D

No all road cars have a diff, and I think yours is suffering bearing failure. Regards Peter

Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - Smaky

To me this sounds like your clutch release bearing is gone, is the whine there when your car is stationary and you press the clutch in? that would rule out the diff bearings.

Nissan Micra K11 - whine when driving - piston power

Front wheel bearings shot.