Fiesta Mk 6 2002 1.6 Petrol - Fiesta 2002 1.6 EAC Fail help please - sequenci

My 2002 Petrol fiesta has had a sporadic problem with the power being restricted and EAC flashing up on the dashboard. Over the years it's been looked at by various mechanics, I've also read many internet posts which imply that this fault can be due to a magnitude of reasons. Currently my cars revs are all over the place, especially when I start it up. Occasionally the revs will just increase on their own accord - pressing the accelerator can sometimes stop this from being an issue. It often idles at a much higher rev count than it should. I had the lamba sensors looked at last year - this fixed the problem for a good 6 months; does anyone have any other suggestions and ideas, I would be very grateful!

Fiesta Mk 6 2002 1.6 Petrol - Fiesta 2002 1.6 EAC Fail help please - Enginostics

I suggest:

a) Do a smoke test to check for any vacuum leaks around the air intake system.

b) Plug a diagnostics computer in to access any fault codes. If any codes are stored, test the sensor/actuator and the sounding area. All ways remember.... fault codes read does not really mean its the electronics side, it could be the environment the sensor is reading.

I would use a handheld scope to check the following sensors if no codes are found:

Accelerator pedal position sensor

Throttle motor/position sensor

Engine coolant sensor

Air intake sensor

Map sensor.

Good luck.

Edited by Avant on 24/08/2010 at 23:15