Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Xantiaman

What's your opinion on this question?

I do 25k/year and on average keep a car for 4 years. I've tended to look for cars with low mileages for their age (my last purchase was 20 months old with 7k on the clock.) This is done on the basis that depreciation kicks in regardless of mileage and I'll rack the miles up anyway. I suppose this shows that I view the working life of a car in terms of total mileage.

Saw a brief statement somewhere that said its better to go for the newest car possible, putting age above the factors I've shown above.

Which do you think is better (and why); assuming its the same model, purchasing a car with low mileage for its age or the newest you can afford?

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Avant

Personally I'd go for a car with average mileage (8k to 12k a year): too high and your own mileage will raise it to becoming unsaleable, too low and you might get one that's been down to the shops and back and hardly ever got warmed up, causing premature wear.

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Niallster

This low mileage high mileage thing comes up regularly and I always seem to go against the flow by saying go for the low mileage car.

The arguement for the high mileage car is that its all motorway miles and the engine is up to temperature etc but;

Unless you know the only driver of the car personally how do you know its motorway mileage? Could be a taxi.

A high mileage newish car is even today most likey an ex-company car so will have been trashed mercilessly. Less mileage less thrashing.

British motorways now resemble car parks and are stop start at best and have potholes. How is this that different to an urban enviroment?

The benefits you are talking about relate to the engine but its the whole car that does the mileage and if I was to replace or do any major work on a modern car I would prefer it to be the engine than most others components.

My opinion and I am entitled to it.

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Chris M

Personally, I'd buy at 2 years/60,000 miles - perhaps will cost the same as a similar model but twice the age and half the miles. In four years time you will be selling a 6 year/160,000 mile car. Will it's value be that different to one that's done say 130,000 miles and 8 years old?

The benefit of the newer/higher mileage car is that it is likely to be a better spec.

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - dumbo
I've been caught twice with high mileage cars. The first was a Ford Sierra and the engine was fine but, by Heavens, everything else went wrong with it. Even one of the bolts on the prop shaft fell out!

I thought that perhaps I'd just been unlucky. So I bought a high mileage Ford Granada with a Peugeot diesel engine. It was very comfortable and quite economical and, once again, there was no problems with the engine. But the bills! I remember one for £600 quid which involved a new steering rack and suspension parts, among other things.

Now I'm talking about 20 years ago and cars may be different now. But I certainly wouldn't buy a high miler if the parts were on the expensive side. (Look at Warranty Direct for average repair costs).

I remember Which once recommended buying cars at 2 years old and selling them at 4. The theory was that the first buyer took the initial depreciation hit and most cars could go four years without a major repair bill. It made sense but, given the compexity of modern diesels, it may only now apply to petrols.
Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Niallster

Exactly. What use is a sweet engine if everthing else is falling to bits?

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Cliff Pope

I usually buy 15 year old Volvos with 200,000 miles and put them out to grass when they reach 400,000.

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Dutchie

Thats what i call cheap motoring Cliff :)

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Armstrong Sid

I usually buy 15 year old Volvos with 200,000 miles and put them out to grass when they reach 400,000.

I think you may have just invented positive depreciation

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Avant

I doubt if you could do that with any other make of car, Cliff. Rolls/Bentley perhaps, but the cost of parts would be prohibitive.

You could perhaps have done it with Mercedes a while ago, but quality slipped in the 1990s and I'm not conviced it's recovered. Too many horror stories, but you don't seem to hear them often about Volvos, old or new..

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Avant on 18/08/2010 at 19:57

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - piston power

Just bought a vectra c with 5k from new 58 plate still under warranty and drives just nice it's 1.9 cdti, There was plenty with 70k on and some with 45k for £700.00 cheaper but id rather have a low mileage car and know most of it's history.

It's your choice company cars do get thrashed and over loaded look at the state of the roads do you want one that has been bounced about?

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - madf

You could tryt the alternative to 200k Volvos..

An 18k Toyota

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201032365340230/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/price-to/2000/make/toyota/radius/40/page/1/postcode/st87dr?logcode=p

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - WellKnownSid

I'm still delighted with my Merc, but then it's 80's vintage, not 90's. With so many on the roads here, parts and knowledgable mechanics are easy to come by, and it actually makes them a very cheap and rewarding car to run.

My neighbour has done over 600,000km in his 250D and it's still going strong.

Peugeots also seem to be pushed to the limit here too. Maybe because there are a high concentration of dealers, but 90's pugs with starship kms on the clock are a common sight.

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Cliff Pope

I think you may have just invented positive depreciation

Yes. Car values slump in the first couple of yesrs, then fall over the next 10 years in a U-shape, then rise again on the other side of the trough, although much more gradually. The profile is a similar to the shape of a river bed under a waterfall, if you recall school geography. Not all cars have the capacity to get past the trough - they have to be quality makes.

But the optimum point to buy is not at the bottom of the trough, because worthless cars are very unlikely to have been serviced properly. The best entry point is a high mileage car that is 3/4 of the way down the slope. Ideally one with business use or long-distance commuting where it has been serviced properly out of necessity, policy and routine.

Then keep the car for 10 years, and with luck it will climb back to the same level of value on the far side of the trough. It doesn't really matter if occasionally you are not so lucky, because the value will live on, and recover, in the form of its parts even if the car has died. A spare car literally put out to grass is an extremely valuable source of parts for your ongoing car.

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - brettmick

I used to buy old with low mileage. I drove 150 miles to buy a 10 year old Corolla with 21k on the clock in truly immaculate condition. I did 70 odd miles to buy a 6 year old Mazda 323 with 31k up that was really clean. Both cars were superb and cost me about £300 a year in depreciation and £30 a year in parts.

16 years ago I paid £50 for a mark 1 Polo that had a siezed water pump and shed its cam belt teeth but had 30k miles up. New pump and belt for £50 and I had a car that did another year until the vavle stem oil seals needed doing and someone offered me £150 for it.

I bought a high mileage Sierra with a recon engine and the suspension fell apart. The front passenger window fell out to, but thats another story.

I am of the opinion that miles = wear and tear so things like suspension bushes, roll bars, shocks, exhausts, springs. Modern oils, even if they don't get to temperature, in a petrol engine mean things should be fine.

However, of the last 5 cars I have bought 4 have been new of nearly new while the last was a 72k miles up 6 year old Legacy. This car is a different kettle of fish altogether and I suspect I might do 720k miles before something squeaks or groans...

Buying used - old with low mileage or not? - Roly93

To be honest I dont like old and really low mileage cars. I've had a bit of experience of them and you tend to end up paying a premium for the ultra low mileage only to get other problems that are induced due to the 'stagnation' of the vehicle.

Cars degrade with age almost as much as they do with mileage a lot of the time.