rover 400 turnover/starting - gibbo
a qusetion regarding a possible future starting problem when i turn my ignition over to the III mark on my rover (just before turning the car over) the srs warning light goes on/off etc and a whirring noise(i guess the fuel pump) kicks in and out and its starts first time no problem but sometimes when i go through the same process the whirring noise does not appear then the starter turns over several times before it starts,when its starts,no problem
anybody got any ideas on this, could it be a potential problem about to manifest itself..

yours in anticipation
rover 400 turnover/starting - David Davies
This could be either the engine ECU not switching the fuel pump relay (i.e.when you don't hear the 'whirring' noise) or the relay or the fuel pump itself sticking.You could try replacing the fuel pump relay (in underbonnet fuse box) but it may be the sort of problem which has to get worse before it can be accurately diagnosed.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
rover 400 turnover/starting - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Is it a 414 or 416? The Honda variant (416) has a common problem with the main relay not latching. In centre console left hand side, big orange relay. More often a problem when warm.
rover 400 turnover/starting - gibbo
the car is a rover 414 , thanks for the advice i shall keep an eye on it as at the moment it is only intermitant
sounds like it may be the relay either not switching or sticking on occasion.
thanks again
rover 400 turnover/starting - yellsah2

Realise the message i am repling to to an old one but i wonder if the guy, "gibbo" managaged to solve this problem with his 414 rover ?

and what was the solution ?

cheers, Yellsah2

rover 400 turnover/starting - Avant

As we last heard from Gibbo in 2003, I don't somehow think we're going to find out.

Anyone else had a similar problem?