Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - Azinbear

I am looking for a nearly-new Mercedes 220 CDI Blue efficiency SE 6-speed manual estate.

Can anyyone please advise me whether the claimed mpg figures for this car are anywhere near reality?

Are there any downsides to this car that are apparent from experience?

Where might be the best place to look for this car? I have tried Mercedes Direct, but they have nothing suitable at the moment. I am happy to try on-line brokers, etc, although i have never done that before.

I have a Skoda Octavia L&K estate 6-speed manual 2.0 diesel with full specification, 08 registered with 32000 miles as a trade-in or private sale.

Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - Avant

Have a look at the Reviews section on this site (button at the top of the page). You'll find good and bad here.

One comment to watch particularly: "Serious issues with piezo injectors of 220CDIs cracking in later 2009. Many cars off the road for extended periods. Supply problems of replacement injectors, apparently made in Malaysia."

As one who has a Skoda having considered a C-class estate, I'd seriously question what you are getting for all that extra money apart from a badge. It's well worth trying the new CR 2.0 diesel in the Octavia or Superb - go for the 170 bhp version which is available in my Octavia vRS and all model trims of the Superb. You could have a new Superb manual estate (with a nicer gearchange) for less than a nearly-new Mercedes.

Edited by Avant on 14/08/2010 at 19:19

Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - RicardoB
I would tend to agree with the above comment and question. I also agree that the current C-Class range make lovely cars, but really, it's the badge that costs!

I was looking at a new Superb estate the other day, and I have to say I think it looks superb!!
Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - SteveLee
If you're spending your own money and/or running it with your own money, rearrange the following to form a well known phrase or meaning "Touch not with pole do a barge"

It will break down and it will cost a fortune to fix it.
Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - madf

Buy the Mercedes. How do you think the dealers can afford such gin palaces of sales rooms?

After all, once you've bought it you will have the privilege of paying exorbitant rates to service a car whose relaibility is such it makes other makers look brilliant..

You know it makes sense to waste your money.. Britain's Mercedes dealers need more muppets for customers...

:-)

Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - WellKnownSid

I drove a 220 CDI auto for about a week last year - it was probably the best C class I've driven in years.

However, that was a hire car with 7 miles on the clock when I picked it up, and frankly I would tend to agree with the others on here. It's a premium car with premium running costs, and by all accounts comes with no absolute guarantee of reliability.

Having owned several MB's privately, I can also vouch for there being no guarantee of descent residuals when you come to sell on, despite what the sharp suited 'retail sales facilitation executive' might infer!

Yes, the dealerships are lovely and inviting places... but I can't recall ever spending less than £800 on a 'service'.

Edited by WellKnownSid on 14/08/2010 at 21:35

Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - nick1975

why are you down grading?

Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - injection doc

why do you want one ? over priced ! overated ! dealerships very overated ! all you are buying is the badge & the problems with it. Don't touch a blue effieceny with a barge pole.

Take it from one who went from a Passat Highline to a E class 250 blue effeicency & back to a Passat. The passat is soo mcuh better, Audi A4 probably looks more class

The Merc seats were so hard & thin on a long run it was just soo uncomfotable and the wife hated it too. I took some collegues out for the day & we all had to stop after 220 miles as our backsides were just numb!

The merc also suffered from day 1 with some weird electrical issues including the auto box going into nuetral on the motorway whcih mean't having to stop & restart. did this a lot! total carp to be honest

Mercedes 220CDI SE 6-speed manual estate - Mercedes Blue Efficiency - HectorG

Azinbear, I considered a C220 auto. The spirit monitor website (google it) gives real-world mpg - experienced by a large number of owners - of the auto as 35.3 average. The official combined is 47.1 mpg.

My experience of this website is that it is very accurate in that the average figures it quotes are in line with figures I have got from a number of cars I have run. I record brim to brim figures of my cars.