Vauxhall Corsa C - Mass Airflow problems 2005 1.2 sxi - Big I

My 55 plate sxi 1.2, only done 19000mls and has code p0100,so decided to replace the maf with another new bosch one.Still same problem,Car drives fine at first, then when its switched off,EML light comes on when started again on 1st start or sometimes 2nd,revs drop to about 500rpm on tickover and is very jerky at low revs,i can clear codes again,then its ok (though tick over is still jumps between 500&700rpm) and performs fine till i switch off and back on EML is on again.
I know there have been similar problems with some astras and vectras,and that you can re earth the the maf,i have had a look at the wiring to the maf and there are 5 wires blue,red,white,yellow and green,i know on the astra and vectras the yellow wire is the earth,can any one tell me if this is the same for the corsa?
Btw tried a multi meter on the plug to the maf and get the following on each of the five pins.. 0 volts/5 volts/0 volts/14 volts/5 volts seems a bit erratic, anyone have any ideas, any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

Can anyone help !!!

Vauxhall Corsa C - Mass Airflow problems 2005 1.2 sxi - Collos25

How do you know its the Maf thats causing the problem you have changed it and nothing improved it does not even sound like a maf problem.You need the cars fault codes reading by someone who is competent and then take action,swopping the wiring around on a modern car is more likely to cause more damage.

The reason i know its related to the maf,is i have read the code using the obd and it comes up with p0100 as shown in the OP which relates to the maf circuit malfunction high voltage/low voltage.If you read other posts relating to p0100 it has been put down to bad earth between the maf and ecu,and when the maf has been re earthed,it has proved to rectify the fault.Iam more than capable of reading codes and understanding them,rather than taking it to VX to tell me what i already know and getting ripped off at £50 to read a code.I would not touch any wiring on any car unless iam 100% confident.

The code you are reading could and most likely is old and is a result of the problem and not the cause.It takes a bit more nounce to understand problems than just read a code only OBD.

Do you actually know how to test a MAF I don.t mean to be to critical but you are not doing youself any favours.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 11/08/2010 at 12:00

When the eml light comes on,and i plug in OBD reader i get code p0100,i then clear the code,car drives fine till i switch off then eml returns again, i can only go off what the OBD is telling me,so seeing as you obviously know better than me ( as i dont seem to have any nounce and aren't doing my self any favours) why dont you elaborate a bit more on your expertise and give me your diagnosis then.

If you explained that in the first place it might be a bit easier to know what the problem is.

Have you tried running the car without the MAF connected.

Also a faulty camshaft sensor gives exactly your problem and same code.While your at it check the camshaft retaining bolts for tightness.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 11/08/2010 at 16:55

Which part of the origanal OP didn't you understand ?

Have run the car with the maf unpluged,car run ok, no eml on.

Camshaft journal bearings have all been checked and retorqued on its last service.

Due to the problems with cams snapping,the engine is also quite no rattles,no cam chain noise.

Thought i would share the following,lifted from VX forum

P0100 Mass or volume air flow circuit high input C-10
P0100 Mass or volume air flow circuit low input C-10

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit No Signal C-13
P0340 Camshaft Sensor Incorrect Signal C-13

The latter being two codes aren't what iam getting,but p0100,So it still points to the maf related problem as far as iam concerned.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Mass Airflow problems 2005 1.2 sxi - WellKnownSid
The latter being two codes aren't what iam getting,but p0100,So it still points to the maf related problem as far as iam concerned.

Your car may not agree. OBD codes don't tell you what is wrong with the car, they only tell you what the ECU is seeing / did see.

Have you ruled out the simple things like an air leak downstream of the MAF?

Checked hoses downstream of maf and around the TB for leaks,splits etc,all seem ok

Also checked coil pack with a spare one,as a process of elimination,all ok

If it runs ok with the maf disconnected and gives the fault with it connected it tells a storey.

Is the new MAF ok .

Result car now running sweet as a nut

Took it in to the local garage first thing where all the vehicles from work are serviced and looked after,explained to Mark the mechanic,who put it through there own diagnostics.He came up with the same code p0100,he then went on autodata and tested all the wiring from the ecu to the maf testing resistance & volts,when idling it should show 1.3 volts,but was only showing 0.6,also at full throttle should of increased to 4.2 v,reading wasnt hardly increasing at all.After lots of other checks on the ecu pins.A new earth feed was run from the maf earth to a new earthing point.Result EML cleared,car is ticking over around a steady 900rpm,and the throttle response is instant,just been on 20mile round trip,and car is transformed,and pulls like a train now,So looks like the fault was down to poor earthing on the maf like the vectra & astra earthing faults when giving a p0100 code.

Vauxhall Corsa C - Mass Airflow problems 2005 1.2 sxi - WellKnownSid

So, the moral of the story is... don't try and fix modern cars at home, take them to a reputable mechanic that has access to all of the available information and knowledge, instead of just replacing parts!

Bit of a worry having an earthing problem on a not-quite-5 year old car, though?

Not really...snipit of the start of my OP...Quote;. ...... I know there have been similar problems with some astras and vectras,and that you can re earth the the maf,i have had a look at the wiring to the maf and there are 5 wires blue,red,white,yellow and green,i know on the astra and vectras the yellow wire is the earth,can any one tell me if this is the same for the corsa? ...Unquote
Wasn't a million miles away with my diagnosis,i asked which Maf wire was the earth,it is yellow on the astra/vectra,the Maf earth wire on the corsa is blue,same code...same fault.... same symptoms...same result,only different coloured earth,like i said i wouldn't touch any wiring unless i was 100% sure,i wasn't and neither where nobody on here could give me the answer to my question.So the reason i took it too the garage was they where able to identify 100% the correct earthing wire using autodata.

Also wouldn't say a earthing problem was a grave concern on a 5yr old car,when you get camshafts snapping on the same aged make of cars with low miles...mine resulted in a easiery and cheaper fix,than a snapped camshaft.Anyway all is resolved and iam happy.Moral of the story is..dont be put off by those who proclaim to know better than you...when infact they are really dont have the answers and are really non the wiser.

Glad you solved it,

Vauxhall Corsa C - Mass Airflow problems 2005 1.2 sxi - stitcher

hi, can you help ? have exactly the same problem, same year 2005, but an sri, have run through all same checks, new sensor etc, runs fine with sensor unplugged, has been into auto electrical engineers works but they are stumped, my garage has read this forum but are reluctant to try re earth, can you tell me what garage you used so mine can contact them to find out what to do ? cheers

Vauxhall Corsa C - Mass Airflow problems 2005 1.2 sxi - injection doc

Big 1 was about right.

there is a technical bulliten for a modyfied wiring harnes to overcome connection issues to the MAF on the 1.2 engine. Very common problem.

The modifyed part is a new connector and short piece of loom. I think its about £6.00

Done many in the past. Moral of the story is take it to someone who knows what they are doing and its cheaper than buying bolt on parts