FIAT Ulysse JTD - HELP please, Fiat JTD (HDI) non starting - sisis

Hi

Can anyone try and give me a few fresh ideas of why my fiat ulysse will not start, its a 2000 X JTD 8 Valve and the engine code is RHZ with a bosch ECU. I have done the usual stuff with these modern cars - i had a mobile guy come out and scan the car for codes. here is the rather long list he got:

P0201

P0202

P0203

P0204

P0121

P0221

P1138

P1108

He said that the top 4 refer to injector codes and said its looking like a fuel pressure problem (i could guess that since its not starting) i am looking at getting the HP pump changed and injectors as the LP pump does deliver diesel through to the filter - checked by the guy and you can hear it buzz under the car.

If anyone has got any good thoughts, that would be welcome - because i am close to tearing my hair out!

FIAT Ulysse JTD - HELP please, Fiat JTD (HDI) non starting - strobe

firstly don't go spending money on expesive things like pump/injectors because your fault codes refer to electrical faults not mechanical ones

(A)this all sounds more like a loss of voltage to the injectors

(B)and or a poor ground path of the ECU

I'm thinking the problem occured suddenly rather than a gradual deterioration in starting

Hi Strobe

I'm not having much luck with these hdi's, yeah it was sudden - just wouldn't start up, you are in favour of a electrical problem rather than mechanical? the guy who read the codes did put easy start down the intake pipe and it fired up (on the easy start ) then stopped and wouldn't start.

i am not a fan of easy start, i don't won't the car getting hooked to the damn stuff. so you think ECU could be at fault? now i have had the immobiliser part of the ecu taken out - done by a ecu company as that was playing up months before. fiat diagnosed immobiliser problem on the ecu, sent it away, came back and it was fine. If it is an ecu problem would anyone have a ecu or wiring diagram i could look through? if i can't make anything of it a sparky might.

you are right not to like easy start many people manage to do a lot of damage with it used in VERY small doses it is not too bad but it is rarely known to FIX anything

The rule I work by is check all the cheap things first it might take an hour or so but its amazing how often apparently serious things turn out to be simple things like bad earths and bad fuses or loose and corroded conections

I didn't say I think its the Ecu ,rather that the WIRING/connections supporting the ground connection of the Ecu need testing ie measure volt rise at the ground pin whilst cranking ,have a slave battery connected at the time

But FIRST OF ALL THINGS check for 12 volts at the injectors with ignition on

let me know

Hiya Strobe

I have the wife's 406 HDI left with me today aswell, i did check the ulysse and i do get nearly 12 volts at the injector - battery might not be great specially when glow plugs are on so i can accept a slight voltage drop but there is voltage there on all 4 of the injector connections.

Ok now give the battery a good charge all day (disconnect charger from mains before unclipping from battery at the end of charge to avoid exploding battery syndrome)

now do the same test whilst cranking and see if there is still at least 11 volts at the inj does your meter have a pulse width function or a dwell function ?

if so the next test is to try to see if the ground path of the ECU is ok

one other thing have you checked that the glow plugs are functional

FIAT Ulysse JTD - HELP please, Fiat JTD (HDI) non starting - Ulysse driver

I have a Fiat Ulysse 2.0 EL (1999). I have the exact same problem as the above, and after 42 days at 5 different autoelectrician's / garages, it still won't start. Latest glimmer of hope, we put in a used ECU, the car started, only to not start again the second time. We suspect dead short causing the ECU to blow. Justed started suddenly, when car stalled three times in quick succession one morning, then no longer starting. Fuel pump relay was replaced (made a clicky sound when turning engine over). RPM sensor fitted, made no difference. Coil pack checked, not faulty. What now? Did anyone solve their same problems as this. it is the same vehicle as a Peugeot 806, also a Citroen Synergy and Seat.

FIAT Ulysse JTD - HELP please, Fiat JTD (HDI) non starting - jonlad1974

try putting a jump lead from the - minus side of the battery to a clean bit on the engine try that bad ground mainly from the gear box

FIAT Ulysse JTD - HELP please, Fiat JTD (HDI) non starting - Railroad.

Just to add to what has already been said, DO NOT PLACE A 12 VOLT SUPPLY TO AN INJECTOR/S ON ANY COMMON RAIL DIESEL. They are operated by the ECU by capacitor discharge and to feed them battery voltage WILL damage them. Also the pressure at the injectors can be as high as 30,000psi (1800bar), SO NEVER LOOSEN AN INJECTOR PIPE AS SERIOUS INJURY CAN OCCUR..

The engine will not start unless the fuel rail pressure reaches 10,000kpa, (1000bar) but remember, pumps do not create pressure. Pumps enhance flow, it is opposition to flow that creates pressure. If you are not achieving 10,000kpa it could be that the high pressure fuel pump is retuning fuel directly to the tank via the pressure regulator which might be stuck open. Or the in-tank pump might not be working. The fuel pressure sensor in the common rail could be faulty, or so could the fuel pump be.

Click on the link below for a full library of EOBD fault codes.

http://www.ecutesting.com/fault_code_library.html