Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - kentdave1973

I saw this comment on a forum earlier

"Yeah, everyone who drives a car probably trusts their own ability more than that of a coach driver."

Someone also told me that because I drive coaches, that I am banned from the outside lane IN MY OWN CAR and restricted to the same speed as the coach because I would not be competent at typical third lane motorway speeds in my own car. Is this true?

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - Armstrong Sid
Someone also told me that because I drive coaches, that I am banned from the outside lane IN MY OWN CAR and restricted to the same speed as the coach because I would not be competent at typical third lane motorway speeds in

That's so ridiculous it's very funny. In that case I presume you are also not allowed to drive any car which has less than 35 seats?

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - Dutchie

Yes you are banned in your own car on the outside lane of the motorway .For you its the cycle lane:)

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - primeradriver

All depends.

Are you the driver of the coach who conspired to run me off the A1M in Durham last week (and who only moved back into his own lane when I frantically sounded the horn to wake him up)?

If so, then yes, you should be banned from the motorway altogether. If not, then no that's silly.

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - injection doc

well kentdave 1973, I have a serious question. I had to read your post several times to decide whether it was just a wind up !

On a serious note I would question whether you should be driving ? I am a proffessional driver & as of which your knowledge should be much greater than that of the average motorist. When driving you have to make split second decissions as to whether a sign says you can or can't often with may be 53 or more passengers on board.

If you were really unsure ! then I would give up your day job! i suspect you were bored & felt like posting to see if you could create a reaction.

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - SteveLee
By posting this question, assuming it's not a wind-up, indicates that you should not be allowed within a 100 yards of a motorised vehicle for the sake of everybody's' safety.
Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - kentdave1973

Apologies folks, it isn't a wind up but merely a discussion taking place in another forum.

I should have really put it a different way. It seems to be the opinion of some motorists that professional drivers (those driving large vehicles which are speed limited and banned from the outside lane of a motorway) should keep out of the outside lane (even in their own car) due to them not being used to the higher speeds in lane 3. In other words they are saying that professional drivers are not as 'good' as car drivers.

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - pda

Perhaps you should point out to them the us professional drivers have to have a car licence before we can obtain an HGV or PSV?

Pat

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - Avant

Sadly there are extremists around who don't like other road users who get in their way (they probably don't like bikers or pedestrians either).

All I can suggest, Kentdave, is that you post as the voice of sanity - make the point that Pat (pda) makes above, and you can also say that drivers with the co-ordination between brain, hands and feet to control an HGV or a coach are likely to be more than competent to handle a car at only 15-20 mph more than the speed they drive on the job.

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - Dutchie

Joking aside as Avant mentioned ,coach drivers heavy goods drivers have my admiration.I have driven a coach and it takes skill in modern day traffic.Underpayd jobs in my opinion.

Am I banned from the outside lane of a motorway? - pda

As a long time heavy goods driver I have to say that coach drivers have my admiration too.

I know a coach drivers 'load' will walk on and off and not need a fork lift or strapping down, but it continually moves about during the journey and makes a noise.

I would have to say 'sit still and shut up'!

To drive with 50+ bored and critical passengers behind you must be daunting and it's something I couldn't do.

Pat