Aftermarket audio suggestions - WellKnownSid

The Grundig radio fitted to the Merc over 20 years ago is dying, and as I don't fancy spending the rest of the summer with a soldering iron and a box of capacitors I've decided it's time to replace with something more modern.

The trouble is that most aftermarket radios I've seen look dreadful. Tiny multi-function buttons, lurid displays that say "hello" in 37 languages, and "3D sonic loudness equalisation with active anti-distort mode PMPO enhancers" don't really cut the mustard now I'm not 9 years old any more.

Any brand suggestions for something that won't look out of place in a 22 year old German car gratefully received. In aftermarket brand speak, I just need an RDS radio with:

• Directly Indexed Frequency Selector Switchpack (a row of buttons that allow instant re-tuning to the selected radio station, numbered one to six for clarity)
  • Integrated Rotational Power Moderator (a circular dial that controls the output volume by virtue of its rotation)
  • Hardware-based Media Access Facilitation Device (a slot where CDs can be inserted when you want to play them.)
Any suggestions???

Aftermarket audio suggestions - Collos25

Buy a another Grundig/Blaupunkt from a newer Mercedes often available on Ebay that way you will have an easy to use 3 wave band radio cd player which looks in order with the car.

These units are still available new.I know what you mean with all the flashing lights and touch controls.I have an all singing satnav dvd cd tv radio fitted in my car in Germany it is tuned to a classical station and when I come to the UK its radio 4 nothing else gets used .

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 09/08/2010 at 10:30

Aftermarket audio suggestions - Paul G1pdc

look for a "becker" grand-prix. they have the buttons and positions your after.

ie knob each side and radio pre-sets in the middle...

i did a google search on "retro car radio" theres quite a few. I remember reading in a classic car magazine that theres also companies that can remove your radio internals and replace them with the latest tech. ie DAB etc etc...of course that will cost more...

when i bought my last car radio i was a little upset not to find a radio with a screen display to match my car.....the nearest i could find was blue and green....its got a lead at the back to plug a USB stick into so I have about 12+hrs of 80s soft rock...makes the almost 2hrs of driving I do a day pass quicker than changing tapes all the time...

have fun looking....Paul.

Aftermarket audio suggestions - mike hannon

Car boot sales should turn up something perfectly suitable for a few quid.

Thanks, all - some great suggestions! I've Googled around and it looks like the Becker units are spot on, but unfortunately have pulled out of the car audio market this year. The yellow display versions are out of stock everywhere - plenty of red and blue, but I don't drive an Audi or VW ;)

I shall keep an eye on eBay et al and see what turns up, and keep you all posted...

WKS

GOOGLE

BECKER 7990

this is the model number of the yellow one, there still seems to be some about. i'll get told off for posting links on here, but there are some about.

paul.

becker 7990 is the model of the yellow one.,

via google i've found theres still some for sale.

paul.

becker 7990 is the model of the yellow one.,

via google i've found theres still some for sale.

paul.

I´ve tried several places now via Google - all say they have them, but when you phone they´ve not had any for months. It's a shame no-one updates their website these days!

Although RRP is £270 including VAT, I've seen several places offering them for £450+ but again sadly no stock.

There is a two year old one on eBay at the moment which is already at £320 with some time still to go... so no bargains there either!

Oh well, off to the shops in a bit... hopefully more luck there ;)

Aftermarket audio suggestions - Victorbox

This lot were shown in the August 2010 copy of Practical Classics as offering a "Autosound Radio/CD/MP3 Player but with the classic two knob look at £169. Having perused their website I think it's one of these: http://www.autosound.co.uk/acc/accessories.php?type=4&brd_id=10

Edited by Victorbox on 14/08/2010 at 10:11