2001 Ford mondeo 2.0 tdi - Car feels like it run out of diesel - photojohn

Two months ago my vehicle started behaving like it has run out of diesel. When you put your foot on the accelrator, the engine cut out. When released its ran again until you went over 2k revs. After two miles it finally cut out with a lot of blue smoke. The garage re-programmed the injectors. It ran for 4 weeks and did the same thing. The garage fitted and new diesel pump (£1700). After 4 weeks did the same thing. They now say it needs new injectors. I dont beleive it. Did I need a new pump and why does it run fine for 4 weeks. When it cuts out, if you wait 30 mins, it will start and run for a time. Urgent reply required before I spend more money on it.

2001 Ford mondeo 2.0 tdi - Car feels like it run out of diesel - cheddar

Difficult to say though based on what you have said - if the garage re-programmed the injectors and it ran perfectly well for 4 weeks before failing again then the fuel pump must have been fine during this period and was therefore perhaps unlikey to have been the cause of the original problem.

The garage should have perhaps tried reprogramming the injectors a second time or replacing them before fitting a new pump, on the otherhand they may have evidence that the pump was faulty.

2001 Ford mondeo 2.0 tdi - Car feels like it run out of diesel - ablandy

We had the same problem with ours. The mehcanic orignally said the turbo was knackered and it was replaced - made no difference. They replaced various pipes and also the battery. No difference.

They then said it needed a new pump AND injectors. At this cost, i declined as the car was only worth about 1500 if that. Sold it on ebay, detailing the fault for about £500. If they had changed it, then who know, might have gone again like yours.

Be wary about throwing more money at this car. Sometimes it is better to cut and run (wish i had earlier with ours!)

2001 Ford mondeo 2.0 tdi - Car feels like it run out of diesel - photojohn

I did see somewhere that a faulty camshaft sensor could cause the same problem. I cannot see how a car runs fine for four weeks and then cuts out three times in a row and it be pump or injectors. Its too much like an electrical fault to me. Am I being cynical if I say that sorting an electrical fault doesn't make as much profit than fitting parts?

2001 Ford mondeo 2.0 tdi - Car feels like it run out of diesel - gordonbennet

The problem here is finding someone who can really diagnose the problem 100% without the 'keep fitting new bits till it's ended' mentality.

If you happen to find thise elusive chap do let us know where to find him will you and we'll all be beating a path to his door.

Are you in the hands of a competent long standing Diesel repair shop of good recommendation, if not that would seem to be the first thing to find.