VW PAssat 2l diesel - 2006 new shape passat cambelt - bk.bas

I have the chance to buy a 2006 PAssat 2 L diesel estate at a good price that has only done 30K miles. Had one service at 20K main dealer. It is an ex company car so has been looked after. Question is does it still have a rubber band cambelt (rather than the sensible chain that ford and others have adopted) and if so when is it supposed to be changed. I have the old passat and the cambelt went at 70K but they said it was because it has not been done for 5 years. ANy advice and idea of cost welcome

VW PAssat 2l diesel - 2006 new shape passat cambelt - amok

Just been into the garage to check on this for my Passat. VW UK recommends replacement at 80,000 miles or 4 years , which ever comes first. I was advised the cost would be around £350.

Edited by amok on 06/08/2010 at 12:49

VW PAssat 2l diesel - 2006 new shape passat cambelt - bk.bas

Just been into the garage to check on this for my Passat. VW UK recommends replacement at 80,000 miles or 4 years , which ever comes first. I was advised the cost would be around £350.

same as my old Passat then. I left it for nearly 6 years as car had only done 70K miles and belt went and trashed the head. VW wanted £2K to do it, the local independant £1200, so I bought a Haynes book of lies and the odd special tool and did it myself for £350. Anyone else needs their head reconditioned I can highly recommend Engine-Express in Bury. Collected head, full recon, all valves and a light skim then couriered back with all gaskets and a full set of new stretch bolts...all for less than £300. I couldn't have bought the valves for that!

VW PAssat 2l diesel - 2006 new shape passat cambelt - Collos25

I was under the impression Ford had gone back to cam belts in their new engines.