Timeshares - oilrag

Are these still as popular as they seemed to be a few years ago?

We were never tempted because we put a lot of our holiday rescources into going out to the Far east to see Mrs O`s family. But at times, in years gone by we met the most intense salesmen on the Spanish coast.

Someone I once knew had one and offered us a holiday one year in theirs. But they wanted not much less than a retail holiday price and after reflecting on it overnight I declined. What shocked me though was the look on her face - devastated that we didn`t want to go.

Did anyone buy, or know of anyone who bought one - and was it a good experience?

Timeshares - Dutchie

Hello oilrag,one of my wife workmates had a timeshare in Florida she was always happy with it .She used to go to different places abroad.I remember being in Majorca with my wife we where invited to a timeshare gathering free drinks etc.I did't feel comfortable you get that gut feeling when you are amongst sharks.We did't bother.

Timeshares - bathtub tom

A work colleague bought one. He kept very quiet about it.

The service costs alone seemed more than the price of a holiday.

Timeshares - Dutchie

There is always a catch and i believe some sharp practices went on with these time shares.On a different subject i am surprised how many people return from spain who bought a house there as they get older.Must be something to do with health care.I might be wrong i stand to be corrected.

Timeshares - ohsoslow

Dutchie,

We have just returned from Spain, staying with friends who bought a property there about 4 years ago. The husband, in his seventies, was advised that the climate there would be better for his health as he suffered from breathing problems due to the effects of inhaling flour dust after working as a baker for years.

During our visit last year he had a bad turn and was in hospital during our stay and for many weeks following. The hospital in Velez Malaga was faultless. The care was wonderful, the hospital spotless. Families though are expected to help with the basic care. He is now reaonably fit again and is getting good out patient care.

Many Brits do not register as residents when they move out there for reasons known to themselves. This is fine until they need serious health care, then the difficulties come to the surface.

Support as they get older and less able may become more of a problem as there is no home care as in this country, again families are expected to do this.

Many also fail to register their cars, so drive around with no tax, insurance or MOT. All to save money, but the police occasionally have crackdowns and catch a few. This is a sore point with the majority of Brits there and would like the police to take more action.

Edited by ohsoslow on 10/10/2010 at 10:27

Timeshares - Dutchie

Thanks for that information ohsoslow,then it makes sense to register in Spain.I suppose its a big decision living abroad for most people.I think health care is not all that different in europe.I was lucky this year a excellent surgeon from the Sudan and his team spend over nine hours operating on me in the uk.Iam still here and count everyday as a blessing.Regards to your friend and wish him well.

Timeshares - Armitage Shanks {p}
I bought a very nice one in Lanzarote 35 years ago and my 2 weeks in a 2 bed room villa, cost me £4000 and I have the right to use it and pass it on to my children - it is mine for ever. The maintenance charges seem high, when one gets the bill, but the place is spotless and well run and the audited accounts raise no eyebrows. That said, I would be pushed to get £1000 for my 2 weeks, if I could even find someone who wanted them! I agree with the comments about medical care in Spain, excellent! The plus side is that Lanzarote is a whole lot nicer, in January when I have my weeks, than the East Midlands!
Timeshares - Dutchie

Looks like you are happy with the timeshare Armitage,and Spain in januari must be better regarding the weather than the UK.I think when people move to Spain they like to leave the backdoor open to return to the UK,if things go wrong.Maybe thats why they don't register in Spain insecurity.We haven't travelled to Spain for years i thought my daughter how to swim in Calella.We like France now the only thing i can't speak French we are going to take some lessons and see how it goes.

Timeshares - rachely476

Hi!I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Edited by Avant on 27/11/2010 at 12:32

Timeshares - Aretas

Got two weeks of Timeshare in Scotland. Been going there every year (except one - illness) for 29 years. Two bathrooms, sleeps six, fantastic views. Wonderful quieter pace of life even than in Suffolk. Can't wait for next August.

Are your weeks at Loch Rannoch? I looked in when they were being built and they looked good and very well located. I didn't buy as they were along way from where I live and I was a bit dubious about the weather, whatever the time of year!
Timeshares - bintang

In this connection, has any poster had experience of the Holiday Property Bond? It looks somewhat like a timeshare scheme in the adverts.

There are of course many warnings about attending timeshare sales presentations in Teneriffe, including the advice not to take your credit card if you do attend. Apparantly the touts are as many and as persistent as flies there.

HPB is a thinly disguised insurance product with all the charges and evasiveness that go with this sort of financial instrument. As I recall the money invested was meant to fund most of the "Maintenence Charges" associated with occupation of the property then ionterest rates fell, the income didn't appear so one had to pay to occupy one's property.

Some thing else I looked at years ago, and which is still working is Hapimag. Is is a swiss based firm with many properties all over Europe. One's investment earns one "points" which be manked/carried over and then spent occupying any available property in the prortfolio. Thus one can have skiing holiday for 6 people one year. 2 years no holiday and the luxury cottage for 2 and so on.

www.hapimag.com/en/for-explorers.htm
Timeshares - richardbettabus

Amazing what subjects come up on this forum!

Talking of dodgy investments, has anyone heard of Talvest?

I never asked them to contact me, but they keep sending me their brochures that bear a statement telling me "Here is the information that you requested". I don't know who they are and would not want to get involved with a company that sends literature from a Gatwick mail centre but gives an address in Panama as their base!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is receiving their stuff.

Thanks

Richard

Edited by richardbettabus on 07/03/2011 at 09:56