Volkswagen Golf I Cabrio 1987 - mk1 golf ignition probs - jomcq

hi all

i'm hoping someone can help me

i have karmen model mk1 golf cabrio that wont start.

it cut out when slowing to prepare to reverse & hasn't started since. there hadn't been any issues prior to it cutting out

i called a roadside rescue mechanic who checked the distributor & arm, cleaning the elements(if thats what you call them) & it still didnt start.

he then checked to power to the ignition coil & said there was power to it but not from so suggested i change it. he did offer to take the car to a garage but im trying to do a much a possible myself.

i changed the coil today with no success. the mechanic was confident it would be the coil but said if not it might be the electronic module distributor ( is this the same thing as the distributor cap/arm?) may need replacing too & failing that, it could be a job for an autoelectrician which would be a nightmare.

can anyone advise me further about this. i have a hayes manual for it & from reading other stories, i wonder if it could be useful to help fix it or just to hit something else in frustration.

any advice greatly appreciated.

jo

Volkswagen Golf I Cabrio 1987 - mk1 golf ignition probs - Collos25

Do I understand correctly the mechanic told you it was the ignition switch so you change the coil.There has to be some reasoning somewhere.If you have power going to the switch and none out I would think that is were the problem lies don't you.

the mechanic said there was power to the coil but not from it.

when you turn the ignition, the car starts to turn but there is no spark to properly get it going.

he did seem to check all the plugs & the arm, & cleaned the element bit on the arm.

he did suggest if it wasn't the coil it was likely to be the 'electronic module distributor'.

Volkswagen Golf I Cabrio 1987 - mk1 golf ignition probs - elekie&a/c doctor

No spark at the plugs could be a fault with the electronic distributor.To carry a proper check you will need the use of a voltmeter.However there is a simple test that can be done to guide you in the right direction.With ignition switched on,disconnect the 3 -pin plug to the distibutor.Remove the centre ht lead from the dizzy and place near metal part of engine.Now briefly,using a short piece of wire,earth the centre pin of the 3-pin connector.If you get a spark,then the chances are the diizzy is at fault.Have you checked that the dizzy is rotating?hth

i believe he had checked the voltage to the plugs.

he cleaned the arm of the dizzy but i'm not sure if it was rotating as such because he was checking that while i was turning the car over.

i'm going to try & replace the dizzy tomorrow & take it from there.

thanks for your advice, i'll keep you posted.