VW golf 2003 1.4 petrol - VW golf 2003 idle erratic, cuts out, exhaust smell - Gebus

Hi, I have had a this problem for a while now and being a pennyless student have not had the cash to get it fixed, so I'm trying to find out exactly what the problem is before I take it to a mechanic and end up paying to replace multple parts and just hoping the problem will get fixed.

It started a few thousand miles ago. At first the car would idle erraticaly (600-1000 rpm) and the 'Alternator Workshop' message would show up occasionaly. This has since started to hapen more frequently, and the car idles far more erraticaly to the point where sometimes the revs just drop and it cuts out. Then it started the stalling. this doesnt happen every journey, but when it does it seems to happen multple times - sometimes within a few miles. I'll be stopping for a junction and as I slow I can feel the steering stiffening up and then the engine stops. It starts again straight away, but then may cut out again at the next junction (sometimes I need to rev it to keep it running). Just recently I started the car with the window open and noticed a petrol smell from the exhaust.

I should also point out that the exhaust emmissions light (little picture of an engine) comes on every now and then, sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for days.

I think that just about sums it up. I am very grateful for any help whatsoever on this.

Cheers

Gordon

VW golf 2003 1.4 petrol - VW golf 2003 idle erratic, cuts out, exhaust smell - Collos25

When was the car serviced properly god knows what damage you have done running with the EML light on and the other problems.One way or the other you are going to have to spend some money it needs linking up to a computer to find the list of faults it needs a full service plugs filters etc .You cannot run cars for nothing.

VW golf 2003 1.4 petrol - VW golf 2003 idle erratic, cuts out, exhaust smell - Gebus

The car has a full service history, and was serviced about a thousand miles ago (oil, plugs and filter change, as well as a belt change about 15,000miles ago). I made the mechanic aware of these issues, but unfortunatly I did'nt have the money to get any more than the neccessary service done. He seemed to think it might be an air leak or carbon build up somewhere, but with the alternator warning coming on every now and then I wasnt so sure.

Believe me I know you can't run cars for nothing :( already had to get a full gearbox rebuild and new exhaust backbox last year. Unfortunatly I dont have much in the way of cash until summer when I can get full time work. But now that I can put some cash into it again I thought I'd get some advice and try to keep it minimum.

I have seen similer issues in other forums, but nothing thats quite what I'm experiencing. Begining to think it could be multiple problems.

In the case of it being an air leak or carbon build up, do you think it is possible to DIY it?

Thanks,

Gordon

VW golf 2003 1.4 petrol - VW golf 2003 idle erratic, cuts out, exhaust smell - Collos25

The alternator light coming on could be the diodes starting to break down in which case unless you are dab hand with a soldering iron it is going to cost you for someone else to do it but then it could just be a symptom of it stalling and not the cause.The problem is too vague you could have a faulty injector common on VAG engines but I think you need it putting the computer and see what faults it throws up.I would also whip out the plugs and double check they were changed, plug leads need checking could be a coil pack breaking down.I do not think there is an easy answer for you you need somebody with a OBD1/11and a reasonable amount of knowledge who will work for nothing.

OK I guess I'll just bite the bullet and take it to the garage and part with my hard earned cash. Unfortunatly I've had nothing but trouble from this car.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Gordon

VW golf 2003 1.4 petrol - VW golf 2003 idle erratic, cuts out, exhaust smell - davehor

My golf is doing exactly the same. Did you get it sorted out and what was the problem. I have taken it to garages and they have not found a fault on the diagnostic machine.

I have read it could be the alternator harness that needs replacing???

Any help would be great.