chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - jakems

This is my last ditched attempt before the hubby loses the plot!!!

Please advice needed!

We have just brought a voyager 1999 (v reg) 2.5 td, around town it drives lovely! as soon as the revs reach 2000 revs there is no turbo boost whats so ever! The car has had numerous new parts including fuel filter (under bonnet) no 1 injector, map sensor, air filter + loads of other new bits and pipes! My husband has done numerous tests and concluded it is not the turbo itself - all parts are free and move as should! We are now stumped - diagnostics show no fault codes, we are getting to the point is it the ecu? if any one can advise on anything else it may be, we would be greatful!! It is back up for sale with faults listed but we would really love to get the problem sorted and keep the car!

Edited by jakems on 28/07/2010 at 14:15

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Collos25

It sounds as if its going into limp home mode I think the problem will lie with the EGR valve or the Turbo I cannot think of a more horrible car to have so old.

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Peter.N.

Is it a common rail engine or a IDI? If an Idi there will probably be a small flexible pipe going from the pump to the inlet manifold or intercooler - if it has one, check that it is not disconnected

'Is it a common rail engine or a IDI? If an Idi there will probably be a small flexible pipe going from the pump to the inlet manifold or intercooler - if it has one, check that it is not disconnected'

Thank you peter, it is an idi, we have checked pipe def not the fault!! we have also checked all the earthing points (behind heater and all the others!!) Turbo seems fine itself wastegate etc is functioning fine, it seems now to be pointing maybe to the ecu!!

'It sounds as if its going into limp home mode I think the problem will lie with the EGR valve or the Turbo I cannot think of a more horrible car to have so old.'

Thank you for replying, we have ruled out the egr valve that is functioning fine, it is not going into limp home there is just no turbo boost kicking in - drive around town it is fine, cruise control at 60mph is fine but as soon as you need the extra power (over 2000 revs) nothing happens which is not good as we need to tow a caravan!!

I would also like to add your advice is great but i did not ask for any ones opinion on our choice of car!!! unfortunately the governments sc***age scheme has meant a severe lack of mpv's in our price range and with 4 kids and a dog we do not have a great deal of choice in vehicles!!!!

Edited by jakems on 28/07/2010 at 17:11

You want to explain a little better,the first cause of lack of power is the car going into limp home mode if there is no turbo boost then this is exactly what it will do.If the turbo vains are that clogged up with soot then you will have no turbo boost replacement units are not to expensive.If its a vacuum operated unit then it could be a leaking pipe as described by Peter if its electrically operated then the actuator could have a fault.My observations about Chrysler Voyager's come from many years of experience that they cause many problems in diesel form and very few in petrol form thats why they are very cheap to buy .But jumping around putting new parts adlib is not the answer it needs connecting up to a OBD1or11 and the real faults found and work in a logical manner to put them right.

Why have you not taken it back to whoever you bought it from and demanded your money back or the fault repaired.

I have done a bit of asking around they do infact go into limp home mode as I described the fault is most likley to be the turbo actuator or the turbo itself without the proper test equipment it is impossible to test a turbo .But then again it could just be a loose pipe your husband seems to have it well in hand so no worries.

Just a thought its not an automatic is it because if it is this opens up a new can of worms.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 29/07/2010 at 09:42

Thank you Andy - i appreciate you time in replying.

My husband has checked every single pipe under the engine bonnett all are present and correct and where they should be - he has checked the turbo wastegate and that is moving as it should, he has connected to obd and no faults have been found the only thing it seems to have picked up is the it says the running temp is 215 degrees even when cold but we not sure if that a laptop fault or the ecu is telling him lies!! I will tell him about the actuator but i think again he has already checked it!

Oh and it is a manual!!!
chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Peter.N.

That could be significant, if you have a faulty sensor that is telling the engine management that it is overheating, it could be shutting something down.

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - B.Santos
Hi, I have the same problem with my 1996 2,5 td voyager, at 2000rpm theres no power at all, I´ve change the map sensor, filters, two full tanks with 140ml of acetone, and I´m waiting for the arrival of a sensor injector .
Have you already found the problem?
in my van when I bought it , someone had change the sensor injector to the second cilinder, and I tought that was the problem but after changing it to cilinder n 1 , the problem remains. I notice much more power after cleanig the injectors with acetone ( 1 full tank with 140ml) two times, but still at 2000 rpm the car loses power and the turbo whistle goes down.
Let me know if you resolve the problem. thanks
chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - B.Santos

bye now , already changed the injector sensor and the other three, and no diference, took out the turbo wastegate actuator and noticied that was leaking air but still opening , was connected to a air compressed and charged from 0 bar to 2 bar gradually and opening even with the air leaking, but even so I changed it to another one modified by me from another car but the problem remains, the turbo is actuated about 1700 rpm (more or less) but at 2000 the car loses the power , I checked the crankshaft timing sensor and was mesuring about 1500ohms and when passing metal on his front the values change , so I think its good, I when to a garage and the diagnostic tool did not gave any code and the mecanic told me to change the fuel filter (tomorrow I will do it) already tested the brake switch , has four wires , two are closed and two are open , when hiting the brake the closed opens and the opened closes, so the switch is good, the only thing remaining is the filter... tomorrow I will now...

jakems have you found the problem?if so let me know, check also the brake, if the contacts are no good the car wont rev.

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - nodaxe

I have had the same problem with my Voyager, [no turbo at 2000 rpm]

The problem was found accidentally by a mechanic repairing my clutch!

There was a split in the intercooler pipe underneath the car which was draining the turbo boost which starts at 2000 rpm on the Voyager!

This problem does not show up on a diagnostics test!!!! [I previously had 4 done by various garages??] waste of time and money!!

You must ask your local garage for a Vacuum test to be done on your turbo system, this is the only way to find it! It will not be visable to the eye unless someone is revving the engine to almost full throttle while your looking for it? So it's a better idae to have a Vacuumb test done!

Good Luck!!

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - dandiesel

also on the n/s inner wing near the battery there is a vacuum capsule that operates the waste gate ,check the small pipes that go to this and also that it is operating .

i had a similar problem on a merc sprinter the problem was one of the pipes had come off therefore the waste gate was stuck open allowing all pressure straight into the exhaust

it needs vacuum presure to hold it shut

hope this helps

dan

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - dandiesel

or a damaged intercooler ,may be hard to see as the aircon condensor and rad are all together at the front

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Bob Monkhouse

Have you solved your turbo problems on the Voyager? I have bought one(and am regretting it big style) and have similar problems to you. ie.no boost over 2000rpm. The turbo seems to be purely mechanical to me and I can't understand why it doesn't boost throughout the rev range. Is there an ecu on the car? I'm assuming it does as theres an air flow meter on the intake. Any pointers from you would be gratefully received .

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Bob Monkhouse

Have you solved your turbo problems on the Voyager? I have bought one(and am regretting it big style) and have similar problems to you. ie.no boost over 2000rpm. The turbo seems to be purely mechanical to me and I can't understand why it doesn't boost throughout the rev range. Is there an ecu on the car? I'm assuming it does as theres an air flow meter on the intake. Any pointers from you would be gratefully received .

Found it, as it says above the turbo pipe was split and its a different car,whoopee!!!

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Voyager diesel

I cant understand that this is related to the turbo,but ok im taking all good ideas here.

Same on my 99 TD voyager,u can feel turbo kicks in about 1700rpm then at about 1900rpm u loose power ,almost as u let up the trottle to almost idle speed, if u move trottle in and out over 1900rpm there is no difference if u have little or full trottle,and

engine would run better than this even without turbo pressure at all,in my opinion its the computer who tells the dieselpump to go into modus of lettn trottle out so it dont much power because its something wrong....a sensor or something...same problem here,no reading codes on testequippment, mine was running perfect,then i had battery out to change screw on bracket to fasten batt,i started it again,let it run for a while on idle,saw that i had pushed hose from cranccase off big tube who goes from airfilter to turbo(there is a sensor there to)conected it back on,and drove it,then i noticed this s*** had happend...and headace starts,and all this can be coincedence......

if u loose turbo pressure on pressure side it would be even loss,this problem who we all have is a sudden loss,and it would have been a big whistle someplace thru a crack,but ill check if some vacumline is close to battery as one say in here,since i worked with the battery,could pushed one of or out......but again i think a in order Voyager turbo would run better even if u remove the turbo,then they do with this problem...but again im going to check if something around turbo/vacumlines,etc

had another 96(yes not learning.lol) coupple years ago ,same problem,didnt get it solved sold it,and dont know if they ever got it fixed,

There is many in here who have EXACTLY the same problem,and there has not come up one single good answer whats real wrong and how to fix it,just lots of this and that,and im blank myself,was hoping someone who realy had fixed the problem had been in here and told.......i think but not sure that guy with turbocrack in line was another problem.......but ill check,it could be a chainreaction who tells sensors this and that,so ill check,if i solve it too,ill be in here and tell,but listen to all opinions......

chrysler voyager 2.5 td - no turbo boost after 2000 revs - Voyager diesel

PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On mine it was the nr 1 Injector,that have a sensor on it,, a friend had same problem,eas solved with the injector too.ITS A DREAM TO DRIVE AGAIN

I dont know what resistant should be in it but noth much i belive

,i took the ohmmeter and there is two wires coming out in the little connectorplug from the injector,i ohmed it between the wires and set ohmmeter on selected 20,on broken one it showed 1.32 . on new (used one) it showed 0.09 took the batt cable off to reset computer,make sure u turn onand off lights or honk the horn or something who draws electrisety WHEN BATT IS DISCONNECTED,this is to get all rest power OUT who is collected in some different components,or if not maybe the computer do not reset.

I guy told me this and i though he was as nutty,but tried ...i heard a relay click when turned on lights AFTER I HAD DISCONNECTED...so he was right

There is many solutions in here about the same problen,and again i think all problems comes down to computer cutting fuel in most of the cases,its set to let up pumptrottle when a sensor flyes.

Also make sure to have the right socket to take off and on injector or easily damage to wires who goes into it,and socket size is 28mm!!!!!!!!! need to be extra long to put wire and plug inside or one with hole in to get the plug on the outside....a mechanic know what im talking about here...

well we are two happy Voyagerowners again,good luck to u all