Two Linux installations - Windows and Symbian S60 - oilrag

This write up will cover the installation of two current linux operating systems and then discuss interactive parameters concerning Symbian S60 and it`s deployment in Windows `dependent` Smartphones.

Basically, I gave up trying to duel install Windows and Linux, many years ago - following Linux systems trashing the MBR. So I set up an old Compaq running through a switch to the monitor, with the Windows computer as a separate machine.

Fedora 13 & Linux Mint 9 - contrasted

Ubuntu based Mint 9, installed in 15 minutes and the set up screens intuitive.

Fedora 13 seemed less intuitive and more like a Linux system of years gone by. It seemed more potentially confusing to a beginner, regarding it`s partitioning options and mention of `root` passwords. City time zone was on New York also, rather than the UK as with Mint 9.

Shrinking partitions of Mint 9 - on the subsequent install of Fedora, left a hung system, needing a full re-install of both.

Mint 9, Would seem more suitable for for a new convert from Windows - though both operating systems were easy to use and very similar to to use in that Linux familiarity.

Advantages over Windows?

No need for Antivirus, anti spyware, defrag or reg cleaners. No pop up `nag boxes` either.

Will Linux ever take over from Windows, given that Linux is free and an `open` operating system?

Here`s where Symbian S60, one of the worlds leading smartphone operating systems comes into play. Symbian is now open source too, similar to Linux in that aspect, but still needing Windows in certain situations. Nokia`s PC suite (for example) just won`t run on Linux and you need a Windows box to download the several Gigs of the Ovi maps to the phone.

Pity about that. And that Wine seems such a clunker if you try to use it to run many Windows apps under Linux.

Ironic though, that the two, arguably leading `open` operating systems of both smartphones and computers can`t be more compatible.

That`s the continuing disappointment in using Linux. It seems now much better than Windows, but there is till a very low level of application compatibility when buying a new device, such as a smartphone, and getting the included software CD out of the box.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag (Moderator) on 27/07/2010 at 09:03

Two Linux installations - Windows and Symbian S60 - dumbo
I've been using Linux for about ten years. Using, mind you, not understanding. But I find it very interesting.

I imagine that the more modern distros would be able to cater for whatever you want to do with your phones. I'd go to an easy to use one, like Mepis (great for recognising hardware) and go first to their home forum. Asking the question pertinent to my phone would certainly get an answer from the helpful guys there.
Two Linux installations - Windows and Symbian S60 - oilrag

Thanks for the advice;-)

I really like the Linux on the Eee PC 701SD - that I use all of the time for the internet (other than experiments with the old desk-top mentioned. I think there are likely to be better netbook installations that would go on that too - but don`t have an external DVD drive.

I guess I also fear messing it up and not being able to use the easy F9 re-install from the flash HD.

Don`t ask how many times I`ve had to `F9` it ;-)