Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - 420 Turbo Diesel

Hi,I am running a Sierra 2.3 diesel diff assy and driveshafts on the rear of my trike.The driveshafts are the push in type as opposed to the ones that bolt onto the flange on the diff.I noticed today that the outer boot,nearest the hub is split is on one side.

I know how to get the driveshafts out,but can someone tell me how to get the joints of off each end of the shaft as I have no idea.I will replace both,the inner and outer ones whilst it is apart.Can you buy just the boots????

Many Thanks Andrew...

Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - Peter.N.

It sounds similar to a FWD driveshaft, they are normally held on with a snap ring, drive the joint away from the shaft with a soft hammer or metal drift, if you hit it amartly enough it shold come off - if its the same, have a close look at the shaft where it goes into the joint.

Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - bathtub tom

I'd suggest you get the appropriate manual (Haynes?).

I recently spent several uncomfortable hours removing a Corsa CV. I had to open a circlip before it would slide off. Hammering wouldn't have moved it.

Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - jc2

It's nothing like a front wheel one!!Presumably it's the "heavy" driveshaft assembly which uses "tripodes" instead of Hookes joints.Get a Haynes or similar-it's all spelt out in there.Ford sell a kit which includes the outer casing for the joint as well as the boot as you would normally have to destroy the joint casing to take the assembly apart.Probably much cheaper to get a s/hand driveshaft from a breaker.You need to remove the hub and brake assy.and then the driveshaft just pulls out of the diff.-no spring clips.

Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - 420 Turbo Diesel

Thankyou for your reply.I have got a Haynes manual and have looked at the dissassembly procedure.I wanted to check with someone who knows,that this is the correct procedure as in that there is no short cut method as there sometimes is.Do you know,do you need special tools to do the job,it mentions presses and pullers to do the job? Have you done one yourself?

I will repair this shaft as it is all plastic coated and looks very nice.I shall do the inboard end as well as I should be able to slide that boot up the shaft then rebuild the outboard end.

Thankyou for your help. Andrew...

Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - jc2

I removed the crimping on the old casing just by bending it out with a pair of pliers-this releases the outer part of the joint-the tripode can be removed after removing the spring clip.This allows you to replace the seals on the shaft.I pushed the outer part of the shaft back into the housing with a large puller-if you only have a small one,a ring of jubilee clips round the housing will make a grip for the puller legs.I then bent the outer housing over in four places to hold it in place.Then hammered the housing into place all round.There are no shortcuts.The Ford pack comes with a sachet of special grease.for packing the joint.I doubt you'll re-assemble it without a puller or a press.

Ford Sierra 2.3 Diesel. - Sierra Rear Driveshaft Boots. - markt

If you only want to repair the boot you might consider using a stretch boot. I saw these on ebay about a week ago while looking for something else. Not tried it myself but might be worth a try before taking the tripode joints apart.

ebay item number 250670140353.