BMW 5 Series Touring - Which manufacturer charges the most for DAB? - jaybeetoo

Can anybody beat £3205 as the cost of selecting DAB radio as an option on a new car?

I am interested in the new BMW 5 Series Touring.

I configured it and selected a DAB radio (£310). That was fine but, in order to get DAB it also adds in the TV function (£850) and Navigation System-BMW Professional Multimedia (£2045). I want neither of these extras.

So for me to get a DAB radio on a new 5 series it is going to cost me a whopping £3205!!

If I want DAB on a Ford Mondeo it would cost me £50.

Does BMW hold the record for the most expensive DAB radio option?

BMW 5 Series Touring - Which manufacturer charges the most for DAB? - Andy P

I've just gone on the BMW car configurator and the DAB radio option comes up as a single option without any mention of TV and Satnav, and I'd be very surprised if they did as they're separate units in the dashboard.

Edited by Andy P on 25/07/2010 at 16:19

I've just tried it again on the saloon and the touring versions of the SE model and, when you select DAB, it brings in lots of other stuff.

I hope it is just an error with the configurator.

Easiest thing to do is ring up a dealer and ask.

I received a reply from BMW

"There is currently an ordering rule in place that stipulates if DAB radio is ordered TV function and Professional Navigation also have to be specified. This rule will be removed for September production vehicles and DAB radio can be ordered individually.".

Thank goodness for that!

If they'd have left that stupid system in place, the number of DAB radios they'd have sold would have dropped to something close to 0. Common sense prevails.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Which manufacturer charges the most for DAB? - Falkirk Bairn
>>If they'd have left that stupid system in place, the number of DAB radios >>they'd have sold would have dropped to something close to 0. Common >>sense prevails.

ZERO SALES OF DAB!!! Common sense might dictate this but how many BMW Drivers possess common sense!!

To many it is a tick on the company order form, to some cost +/- £3k is neither here nor there as the cost is just £70/month on a lease plan

I own a BMW.....

BMW 5 Series Touring - Which manufacturer charges the most for DAB? - primeradriver
ZERO SALES OF DAB!!! Common sense might dictate this but how many BMW Drivers possess common sense!!

You're not saying that zero DAB sales is common sense are you?

Almost all of the half-decent radio stations are on DAB. FM is just full of generalist mush.

£3000 could buy an awful lot of something else. I'd have been inclined to go aftermarket, if this had been the final figure.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Which manufacturer charges the most for DAB? - daveyjp

DAB is flaky in the house with a decent aerial - we have friends in rural reas who can't get DAB. As an option in a car I wouldn't pay £5.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Which manufacturer charges the most for DAB? - Collos25

I am not in favour of DAB but the reason its so poor os because the transmitters are switched to low power until the existing frequencies are switched of(thats the official blurb).

If you have a USB port in your car you can buy a cheap plug in unit here in Germany and I am sure you can in the UK it works here extremely well I use mine in the house and it works in the car with no problems. Although the car is fitted with DAB television and radio already but it does work ok.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 28/07/2010 at 13:02