Car cloning - davecooper

I was reading an article on the problem of car cloning and how easily chassis number scould be altered and it occured to me that there must be ways to combat this.

One way is obviously to have the number plate and even the VIN number etched on the windows. However, another way would be to have the VIN number applied as a small sticker in an unobtrsive position beneath the laquer coat. Cloners would have to damage this area to change the number. Even better would be to have the VIN number or even a bar code applied beneath the laquer, close to the number plate. If this could be read along with the number plate using an ANPR type system, mismatches between the two would be picked up.

Any attempt to change such numbers would mean damaging the paint and thus respraying the area(s). Any evidence of a repair in this area would raise alarm bells for a potential buyer.

The only problem would be reapplying such numbers after crash damage

Just a thought.

Car cloning - Collos25

I wonder if the Romans had the same problem with their chariots,I don't think there is a way t stop it 100%.

Car cloning - Cliff Pope

It is so 20th century to regard the core of a car as its physical chassis. The basis of a car's identity is it's computer. This should be protected by the usual encryption and anti-hacking procedures so that anyone trying to pass off a car under a different identity would have to obtain the genuine processor and software or else be skilled enough to clone it.

It would be just like Microsoft detecting unregistered software. Police etc would simply plug the suspicious car in online to the DVLA to see the car's real identity.

Car cloning - Collos25
Its in the main ecu already but anybody with any programming knowledge can get round it and microsoft are just about useless hence the number of bootleg systems that are running.Here in Germany cars are stolen to order and are in Poland in few hours never to be seen again except when you go on holiday to Russia, corruption and bribery will alwys find a way.
Car cloning - Andy P

Why not "chip" the car with something like an RFID tag or the kind of chips used for pets. If the chip is embedded in some part of the car that is expensive/difficult to change, it would make it a lot harder to alter the vehicle's identity. All you need is the requisite scanner to read the info.