Land Rover Discovery - Rover 3.9 v8 engine - strickjumpers

Hello everyone,

This is my first visit, so thanks all for the opportunity to share in your knowledge.

I purchased a 3.9 engined Discovery which had sat for 3 months afer a roasting, on strip I found the thermostat when boiled remained in the closed position, I subsequently tossed it out as I am in a 45 degree centigrade environment, I had the heads skimmed 15 thou off, did not do the valve seats then rebuilt, it lasted 5 minutes, pattern gaskets from ebay! and my suspicion is the locating dowels on the block now effectively 15 though longer bottomed out on the torque before the gaskets on the exhaust side of the block compressed. I have yet to strip down again, but when I do:-

1. What would e the absolute limit to face the head for the second time if required, or am I already there? has this been experienced before?

2. Would I expect after 5 minutes running and no overheat for the heads to be warped again as they were pulled down unevenly on the dowels in places and the block in others.

3. any good advice to go with the above gratefully received.

Many thanks, Mike.

Land Rover Discovery - Rover 3.9 v8 engine - Peter.N.

Oh dear! I know that this dowel bottoming out is a possibility but never actually heard of it happening before. I assume this is a petrol engine, these normally have much greater clearance than a diesel, but even a diesel would stand more than 15 thou off.

As I see it the worst that could happen is an increase in compression ratio. If the underside of the heads are flat, assuming the pistons don't come above the top of the bores, I wouldn't worry, on diesels they do so its only the thickness of the gasket that keeps them apart.

If you are worried can you not get thicker gaskets?

Land Rover Discovery - Rover 3.9 v8 engine - acornarms

hi

hi

15 thou is not that much to come off the head. in the combustion chamber there is a small lip at the bottom that is the skimming limet ,

Hello, thanks for the tip regarding the skimming limits, very helpful.

Would you ever consider re using the streach bolts?

Any idea of the max warp allowable before skimming is required, (standard gasket)?

Thanks,

Mike.

Sorry, meant to say second skim as already been done, but as its now leaking guess it will need re done.

Mike.

hi

no use new bolts and tighten from the center out in a spiral

torque settings are 65-70 lbf ft for head

rocker shaft are 25-30