BMW Petrol or Diesel - meldrew

SWMBO is due for a car change soon. Its narrowed down to a low mileage 320 C auto ( I have a bicycle so she gets a decent car!) . On the face of it and mpg diesel seems an obvious choice. This is new territory for us never having had a diesel before. Additionally the annual mileage is only 8k. Should we stick to petrol or go for change?!

BMW Petrol or Diesel - Dude - {P}

I think the old adage of needing to cover 15k miles per year to justify a diesel is sound advice.

I run a BMW 320 diesel myself and only cover 6k miles per annum and whilst I am delighted with the car, if I had to purchase another one, it will definitely be petrol next time for me.

There is no doubt that servicing costs for diesels are far higher and with only 8k miles per year, you are not covering sufficient mileage to offset these increased costs.

BMW Petrol or Diesel - quizman

>>>There is no doubt that servicing costs for diesels are far higher

In what way do diesels cost much more to service?

BMW Petrol or Diesel - mareiclaire

I am looking to excahnge my 3 series tii petrol for a diesel - would you be interested?

BMW Petrol or Diesel - Avant

I agree with Dude - go for a petrol. Also the car itself will be cheaper. For your budget you'll get a newer petrol 3-series than diesel.

Indeed why not look at a 6-cylinder engine: 325i or 330i? There's a very special feeling about a straight-six, and the BMW stright-six is one of the best.

Thanks for those replies! My wife will be happy with this decision. Not sure about the 325 or 330 suggestions - she is a quick and competent driver and needs no further encouragement. Every time she sees a 330 it has the same effect on her as seeing Daniel Craig!

BMW Petrol or Diesel - NARU

4-cylinder BMWs are OK, but the 6-cyl versions are so much better. Even the diesels!

BMW Petrol or Diesel - corax

Get one, you won't regret it! They're not even bad on fuel considering the power. If serviced regularly, they are extremely reliable and problem free.

Edited by corax on 20/07/2010 at 18:59

BMW Petrol or Diesel - dieselicious

A BMW that isn't a 6 cylinder, isn't a BMW at all.

BMW Petrol or Diesel - Smeagol

Agree with previous posters; get a 6-cylinder petrol engine!

Only covering a few thousand miles per year a diesel does not make sense. Driven sensibly very reasonable mpg can be achieved. I manage just over 30 mpg overall (and up to 37 on a long journey) in my 2001 728 and that is a big, heavy car (but supremely comfortable!).

OK OK!!! She can have a 325 but not a 330....!!!

Thanks again all!

BMW Petrol or Diesel - idle_chatterer

I've heard a few colleagues complain that the 320i can feel a little gutless at times - despite it's high potential output, they all rate the 320d much more highly for accessible performance. If your wife does mainly short runs then the DPF might be an issue on the diesel though.

As a driver of the latest 245PS 330d I highly recommend this engine - faster than many Porsches from 30-50mph, 0-62 in 6.2s (for my touring) and never less than 45mpg makes it 'too good to be true' IMHO, it has a lovely 6 cylinder howl when revved too and the performance is effortless and always accessible from 500 RPM up to 5000 RPM (OK so less than a petrol 6). It doesn't sound like a diesel either, maybe not as sonorous as a BMW petrol 6 but still way better than anything else I've driven (petrol or diesel).

Most comments about the 330d agree entirely - obviously a great engine. Has anyone got experience of the 330i or 335i compared with the 330d?

A lot of high-performance 4-cylinder engines - such as the 320i - give of their best only at high revs, but this may not be true of the sixes. My old Z3 (2.2 litre six) pulls strongly throughout the rev range, so this could well be true of the current 3.0 engines too.

BMW Petrol or Diesel - Focus_Driver
I though the 320i was a 6 cylinder?

It used to be, but the latest 320i model is a four. A pity I think. BMW probably want to differentiate it from the 325i, which costs several thousand more.

BMW Petrol or Diesel - Focus_Driver
Yes that is a disapointment. ..
BMW Petrol or Diesel - idle_chatterer

It used to be, but the latest 320i model is a four. A pity I think. BMW probably want to differentiate it from the 325i, which costs several thousand more.

There are subtle but significant spec differences between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder 3 series cars e.g. brake drying, hill hold, soft stop, braked cruise control, uprated brakes and on the 330d (so I suspect other 6 cylinder models) a strut brace and uprated suspension (even in SE form), many of these are unavailable on the 4 cylinder cars.

Other 'features' are standard fitment such as auto headlamps/wipers, twin exhausts and a chrome grille plus 330i/d and above give you metallic and headlamp washers - you can always tell a 4 cylinder BMW by its single oval exhaust if you're observant (or sad) enough.

I understand that the 325i is reasonably economical and good to drive although I'm not quite sure of the rationale behind the 325d since it's barely more powerful than the 320d and the 330d gives the same economy/emissions.

BMW Petrol or Diesel - corax

>> Has anyone got experience of the 330i

I think legacylad has a 330Ci.

Edited by corax on 23/07/2010 at 17:45

BMW Petrol or Diesel - SteveLee

A BMW that isn't a 6 cylinder, isn't a BMW at all.

I'd agree with you if BMW started out with sixes or invented them, their first car was an Austin made under license - ironically the company they'd go on to asset-strip and destroy seventy odd years later helped put BMW on the map as a car maker.