Car for my mum - CM
My mother wants to change her car but is not sure what to get. At the momnet she has a Golf Mk3 VR6, so she wants something that is as quick if not quicker.

The other requirements are that:
- it is an auto (due to a dodgy knee)
- it has a easy access boot which is a decent size (ie a hatch which can drop the back seats)
- the car itself is not too long/big

I thought that maybe an Alfa 147 GTA might do but not sure on whether it will be available as an auto.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Car for my mum - madf
A3?
madf
Car for my mum - CM
possibly. are the boots on these much smaller?

forgot to mention that the prob with the golf mk4 VR6 is that it is manual only. Are there any specs for the forthcoming mk5 (esp the R32 variant)?
Car for my mum - Steve S
CM, I'm pretty sure that the Mk 4 golf V5 has an auto option.
Car for my mum - CM
CM, I'm pretty sure that the Mk 4 golf V5 has
an auto option.

I think you're right but she who spawned me likes the extra pace of the V6 unit!
Car for my mum - Steve S
In that case....maybe a new knee!
Car for my mum - DoddMan
I was going to suggest a Yaris, which seems to be the standard answer for anybodies Mum, but that definitely wouldn't be fast enough!

To get what you want I would guess that you might have to go away from the fast Golf-sized cars, as most of them seem to be seen as hot-hatches and hence don't have a auto option. Would something like a BMW 3-series or Audi A4 be suitable. They are larger cars but the quicker versions would be available as autos.
Car for my mum - CM
Would something like a BMW 3-series
or Audi A4 be suitable. They are larger cars but
the quicker versions would be available as autos.

Think they might be a wee bit too big. What about the 3 series compact? Does anyone know whether there is a decent sized boot and can the back seats go down flat?

As for a new knee, the doctors have tried that one but using a clutch on a long journey knackers it and it can just give way!