ford focus 1.6 - all dials zero, no loss of power. - jimmy81

hi all, i know its been on here a lot but my problems seem to differ slightly than what ive seen.My problem is that when im driving along all of a sudden all my dials (speedo, revs, petrol, temp) go to zero. While this happens the amber engine warning light comes on and the red handbrake light also. the milometer displays dashes. there is no loss of power. After a while all dials and lights go back to normal. there are no flashing lights or loss of power.

Ive been to the local garage who pluggedd it into their machine and the only code it displayed was a fuel sensor code. Which meant that the tank was empty (this must be because it zero'd out.) nothing else comes up on the diag machine. He's adament its the fuel sensor i dont think it is. not sure its the vss as there is no loss of power or any intermittent light. (going by what ive read this is, im no mechanic)

ive been back and forth to the garage for a month now and getting nowhere. i have a warrenty but its no good unless i can find out wha the problem is to find out if its covered. im thinking they dragging it out to make me pay.

i would much appreciate any help. thanks

ford focus 1.6 - all dials zero, no loss of power. - elekie&a/c doctor

How old is the car?This could be an instrument pod fault.Very common on cars built 2002/3.hth

ford focus 1.6 - all dials zero, no loss of power. - Roly93

If you are lucky and it should be the instrument cluster. All you need to do is remove the cluster and clean the solder joints on the back of the main connector with circuit cleaner or meths etc. I had a less severe version of this and that is all I had to do. We need to know what age of Focus you are talking about, as this was fixed on the MK3 + 4 Focuses.

Edited by Roly93 on 16/07/2010 at 19:58

ford focus 1.6 - all dials zero, no loss of power. - mikej

The classic symptom of a dodgy vss is the speedo dropping to zero. In my case, it would often do this without a loss of power and return to normal.

However - I don't think a dodgy vss would explain your petrol and temp gauges dropping - sounds like a cluster problem as mentioned above.

ford focus 1.6 - all dials zero, no loss of power. - jimmy81

thankyou all for feedback;

the car is 02,