Did changing a tap washer set you up for `life`? - oilrag

It was presented to us at school as the most important practical task that had to be mastered before leaving. And much to everyone`s amazement the school (famous for forcing you to write in Italic, and not start sentences with err `and`) produced an actual tap.

We had no sex education at all - but everyone could strip this `decades old and never seen water` tap.

So you were considered `OK` fit for discharge.. - those were your `practical skills` - along with being able to create a stool to sit on, with a woven raffia top.You would have been a king in certain cultures with those skills and a constant supply of raffia. What happened to raffia? Did we cease to import it?

Great thing about the tap though. You couldn`t expect the education system to know that rubber would soon improve and tap repair would fall by the wayside. It gave us a taste for doing things yourself - and we soon started working on our own motorcyles (we ALL had one) and then cars.

It just seemed `normal` not to give money to someone else.

You should have seen our mate, the plumbers son in class though. Grinding his teeth in the `tap lesson` knowing that his father`s trade secrets were being put into the public domain.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 02/07/2010 at 15:43

Did changing a tap washer set you up for `life`? - Manatee

No it didn't. I thought I was a master of tap washers, no great achievement but I was happy, and then...

I have a tap in the bathroom that I must have changed the washer on a dozen times in 10 years. Eventually even changing the washer didn't stop the drip, despite dressing the seat. Baffling. Even considered whether it could be getting through the centre of the washer and round the jumper. As well puzzling this was severely damaging my household reputation.

I eventually found a tiny hole in the casting right by the edge of the seat. Fixed it with a "plastic repair kit" I had - powder and liquid twopack stuff. I'm sure the current washer will last at least 5 years now!