Ford Focus MK2 05 1.6 Ghia - Weird Handbrake issue - Jonp81

Hi guys just joined the site :)

Got a right weird handbrake problem.

Went to tighten it as it was screeching, tighted it once and it seemed a little better, then put the handbrake surround back on tried it and it just went loose.

So here I was thinking maybe it had come loose, so I took all the center console out to get a better look, not quite sure whats happened, but if I pull the cable by hand I can hear the rear brakes squeak a bit so I dont think theres a cable break?

Anyway a pic might help explain it better, any help is much appreciated.

I know the square bit where the cable is joined should be in the metal part of the handbrake, it fits in there quite snug, but how is there that much excess (look how high the handbrake is)? I barely moved the bolt a few mm, so I am really puzzled on what has happened and how to fix it.

[url=img685.imageshack.us/i/img1678v.jpg/][img]img685.imageshack.us/img685/1899/img1678v.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Direct link to large image [url]img685.imageshack.us/f/img1678v.jpg/[/url]

PS : sorry about all the grime its amazing how much rubbish has got under the trim!

Ford Focus MK2 05 1.6 Ghia - Weird Handbrake issue - mikej

Hi - do you have rear drums ? Screeching from rear drums is usually caused by a build-up of break dust and cleaning this out of the drum and applying copper grease carefully to the grease points and springs can help reduce the noise.

Not sure how adjusting the handbrake cable is supposed to stop the brakes screeching ?

There looks to be a lot of slack in that cable - are you sure nothing has snapped somewhere ?

You need to be careful not to tighten it too much when you put it all back together, or your brakes will bind when the handbrake is off.

Ford Focus MK2 05 1.6 Ghia - Weird Handbrake issue - Jonp81

Yes its rear drums and I know about reducing the noise, I think you have misunderstood what I am saying.

I am using the noise as a way of confirming that the cable is infact fine and connected the the drums. I am not trying to stop the brakes screeching, I was trying to tighten the handbrake cable.

I tightened it about 1mm and after the second attempt to use the handbrake it went very loose, upon opening it up to see the handbrake cable, I find what you see in the picture, I just dont understand whats happened, the cable wasnt that loose previously, yet the link to the drums still seems intact, I just dunno what state that part that links to the handbrake should be in.

Should the square metal part attached to the cable be inside the holding part of the handbrake, and the nuts be much further down the cable, If so how has it got in the position its in in the pic from me adjusting approx 1mm of the bolt?

I just want to know what I should do to fix it, get a spanner out and wind it all the way down? Because theres no way it could have been like that previously, Its like the nuts had nothing to do with it and all that was holding it together was the friction between the metal of the brake line and the metal sleeve part of the handbrake?

Ford Focus MK2 05 1.6 Ghia - Weird Handbrake issue - Gregory II

Yes, I had the same problem with what seems a very simple job. Have you seen if there is a problem in the drums area. Perhaps there is a problem there?