Street robbery - pavement people assessment - oilrag

I`ve been aware of people surrounding me, in public, for many decades now - the work just made you like that and the tendency was strengthened by travelling in South East Asia.

It`s intrusive at first, but then becomes second nature as you scan the pavement in front for familiar faces, and certain characteristics - the awareness of what`s behind you and the right angle turn as an unknown potential threat closes in on you from behind.

It becomes, in fact, like a sort of built in radar and you don`t notice you are doing it anymore until there is a ping.

Familiar stuff of course to many people who have travelled a lot or have worked in front line services serving the public. Does that ring a bell?

Because I was in the coffee place again, second in line for service and a woman in front pulled out an iphone - scrolled on it and then popped it down on the counter to handle the transaction. Risky, or what?

Outside people walked past chatting away on loosley held phones - oblivious to all around them.

Then you get that `ping` on the radar and you notice someone (and often more than one) also doing a little people assessing and it`s not out of self preservation.

I stood looking directly at one set, shoulder surfing off a cashpoint and of course they quickly noticed me even though across the road and sloped off.

Then, a couple of modern day raptors on the precinct - interacting and watching for smartphones to be plucked straight out of hands as though a lollipop from a five year old.

You see a lot if you sit up by the Cathedral, but you have to hope your own phone doesn`t ring in your pocket - as there are a group of `assessors` on the next bench.

All of this with the ring of CCTV cameras too - makes you wonder what it would be like without them.

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 27/06/2010 at 10:17

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - studdychris

well, i have to say that a few weeks ago that would have sounded sort of paranoid to me.

then, last month, i got robbed right on the streets of birmingham. i never thought something like that would be happening to me. it wasn´t a dark, scary place or whatever you know from the movies - we were out on a public place and these guys simply walked up to us and said they were going to stab us if we weren´t giving them what they wanted.

my girlfriend was wearing one of her rather expensive Audemars Piguet watches and I carried my iPhone and some cash with me, so that is all gone now.

I have to admit, from that moment on I look at people with much more suspicion than before...

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - injection doc
Chris I,m sorry to hear of your experince, truly terrifying.
As sad as it is the best thing to do these days is dress. Like a rag doll!
I wear a cheap watch and take a cheap nokia phone and a dummy wallet with few quid and out od date credit cards when out somewhere doggy!
Street robbery - pavement people assessment - studdychris

Well, i have to admit, it was pretty stupid, dressing like that.i might have been too naive.

in the future i will definitely act smarter...

(Edit - I've removed the bit that was the same as your post above. Be careful not to let a brand name appear as a link - otherwise people might think you were advertising it.)

Edited by Avant on 01/06/2011 at 22:45

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - rtj70

>> Edit - I've removed the bit.... brand name appear as a link - otherwise people might think you were advertising it.)

You mean this site? So we cannot say:

Nike

Belkin

Cisco

Ford

VW

Anymore?

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - Bobbin Threadbare

Have you ever walked down Las Ramblas in Barcelona? You are openly assessed as you walk along. I had all my valuable stuff zipped away and my handbag was full of old bus tickets and a couple of biros, so anyone fishing about in there would have been sorely disappointed.

I am sorry to hear you got mugged - and also that it was broad daylight, but then since nobody goes to prison for any length of time they are all out wandering the streets instead!

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - FP

Avant did say "brand name appearing as A LINK".

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - injection doc

when I'm carrying a ruck sack I stuff the outside pockets with nappies ! even though the kids are old enough to leave home !. In london 20 years ago my back pack was slashed with a razor to be robbed , would love to of seen their faces when all they got was a handfull of nappies !

Must remeber to find some heavily soiled ones !

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - Dutchie

I usually am obeservant more so when travelling abroad.As a tourist you are more vunereable.I got lost once outside Miami driving ended up in a rough area.Lucky a very helpfull lady in a bick pick up got us back on the highway.Handbags are easy targets when in hotels on holiday I always ask my wife to leave her handbag in the room for safety.We always use the safety deposit box in the hotel leave our passports and creditcards etc.Never leave your passport with anybody make a copy far safer.

Street robbery - pavement people assessment - rtj70

So I therefore could not link to:

www.smithknightfay.com/Smith-Knight-Fay-Volkswagen...x

for example. Very helpful people there. I used to have them work on my last VW and now have another on order. Although they did crash into a Passat of mine once but sorted it.

www.nike.com is another link that we could not use then?

And we all know about www.sky.com and what also owns them.